Cliff Burton's Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jkk17, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    So I got the ZOOM B1X Four and I wanted to play the bass classic "For whom the bell tolls". I can chain up to 5 effects, do you have any suggestions how to get that tone? I'm kinda new to it so every help is appreciated! Thanks

2. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    I'm not a huge Metallica fan so somebody will probably pop up here with more details, but I'll give it a go anyway:

The FX is mostly on the intro bass melody; Cliff used a fuzz and a bit of subtle wah for that section I believe, so I'd set up something like a Big Muff fuzz on the first slot with whatever Bass Wah the unit has after it. Maybe a little reverb, but would probably get washed out in a band context. After that intro section it's back to the usual grindy Cliff sound.

Jkk17 likes this.
  3. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thanks for the help, BTW, I don't know much about effects and I'm trying to learn so, can you tell me what the grindy sound is? Thank you

4. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    There is this guy on yt, Kello Gonzalez, who absolutely nails early Metallica/Cliff on bass both play- and sound- wise.

Not sure if he covered the tune you ask for but definitely some ride the lighting/master of puppeta stuff. Among others.

Kello Gonzalez

Jkk17 likes this.
  5. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I will check him out, thanks

6. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    A muff like fuzz will do the trick. I chased the Cliff tone for a while, I think I got it pretty close. A touch a reverb will help alot too

BASS>WAH>FUZZ>REVERB

Example?

Jkk17 likes this.
  7. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thank you so much, it definitely helped

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021