Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff Burton's tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Molotov, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Molotov

Molotov

Feb 5, 2002
    I can't find a Morley Power Wah Boost (PWB), like Cliff used. But, I'm able to get a hold of a Morley Power Wah Fuzz (PWF). Would this pedal replicate Cliff's tone for his solos? Or do I need some other distortion pedal for it? Please help....

2. now why would does everyone want to sound like that... if you ask me it sounds like a blown guitar amp and a really old crybaby that needs its pots replaced... I did like some of the stuff Cliff did and his solos were sometimes really great, but his fuzz tone sucked and the solo on Anastasia or whatever is very mediocre at best...

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Sh*t man, relax! All the guy did was ask a question! I happen to think cliffs tone was gnarly, especially on ANESTHESIA. So there!

Molotov - you'd probably be better off going with separate distortion and wah pedals than getting that fuzz/wah. But if it's cheap...

4. sorry to come off like an a$$hole, its just that this type of thing is posted pretty often...

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Your browser came with a back button I assume?:D

In answer to the question: I would find a a heavy overdrive and use a wah like the 105-Q , which is adjustable to try and dial in that tone. That tone is pretty cool, IMHO.

6. bass_player_cd

bass_player_cd terminated.

Aug 21, 2000
    OK
    Personally I love Cliff's tone and when you plug in a PWB, nothin else sounds more like cliffs sound than that. I would just recommend getting a rick' bass and wait till you can find a PWB, then get a decent cab setup and overdrive it, or you could use a distortion pedal(like a big muff or somethin). Thats of course if you want to sound like him. I've never played the morley power fuzz but is it a better wah than fuzz?

7. The way i get cliffs tone when i play ANESTHESIA is by using a BOSS ODB3 Bass overdrive peddle and a Cry baby guitar peddle then i turn on my amps EQ with boosted mids. it sounds good for that kind of Cliff solo

8. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    my favorite part was where he dissed cliff but then said he knows a bunch of cliff's stuff

9. tjrtherealmagic

tjrtherealmagic

Jun 10, 2013
    Cliff modified his ric with a gibson eb 0 and jazz bass pickup. he also piut a guitar pickup in the bridge cavity. The bass really doesn't matter, the pickups do. i recommend a pwf, pwb(Cliff used both) an american big muff, a compressor of some sort, and a tube screamer. that should get you his tone
    ps, cliff also used an electro harmonix bass balls in the early days maybe with metallica maybe not

10. tjrtherealmagic

tjrtherealmagic

Jun 10, 2013
    I also love Cliff. If you are interested, the way i do it, amp to big muff to tube screamer to wah to compressor, it sounds pretty close, btw, i don't use the bass balls because i dont have one and $$ is a little tight right now