Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cliff or Jason

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by METaLLiKka74447, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. METaLLiKka74447

METaLLiKka74447

Dec 29, 2002
    Wisconsin
    From Metallica who do you think was the better bassist Cliff or Jason. I think Cliff is the best but i want to hear crap about jason

2. cliff all the way

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    cliff no doubt

4. Jason was okay. He had a lot of training and all, mainly in jazz. You just could never really hear him in the mix. I have friends who have heard Metallica's songs with the bass track totally cut out and they said that the songs sounded exactly the same as the regular tracks. I have looked at the stuff that Jason played and it is actually a lot better than people tend to give him credit for. If you want a good example of that, look at his work on Garage Inc. Those are some pretty good bass lines. However, even after all of that, Cliff was still better. No question.

5. METaLLiKka74447

METaLLiKka74447

Dec 29, 2002
    Wisconsin
    i agree with you but you have to remember that garage inc. is all covers. jason could play but not write

6. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    CLIFF!!!

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nothing against Jason, he's a good solid player and I like him a lot, but Cliff (RIP) was on a higher plane.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, you're name is certainly an eyesore! :p Hmmm, almost everyone is going to say Cliff and Cliff was in fact the man, but I dunno, when Jason got a chance to cut loose, he did some interesting stuff.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    weren't they both crushed by busses or some other large rolling stock ?

10. jason's still alive and well
    unfortunately

:D just kiddin'

11. One word:
    Master of Puppets:D

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    King James didn't allow it.

Cliff was a better bassist but Jason was a bigger influence on my playing.

13. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Cliff. Much better musician. Never did like the stuff Jason did. Although, he is a millionaire!! Hmm...go figure.

14. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I've slowly begun to prefer Jason... he's just got a bluesier edge and didn't always play guitarlike.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm going to have to agree with caeros.....I have always preferred Jason, Cliff was a guitarist in drag.

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Cliff put on an excellent show and had a crowd thing going on during his bass solos. It is one of the first bass solos I remember seeing at a Metal show.
    Jason was excellent during his Flotsam and Jetsam years. He also wrote most of the early Flotsam and Jetsam songs. You should check out the album Doomsday For The Deceiver. He also put on a very good live show.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can't hear either one on record, so no difference there...

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    this question has been asked quite a few times here, please do a search and you will find all the answers you seek.

much love

mama cass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.