1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cliff Williams signature Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hubba-Whaa, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Hubba-Whaa

Hubba-Whaa Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Interesting, but what about Louis Johnson or Tony Levin. A copy of Tony's 5er barbie bass could be interesting...

Squittolo, Vinny_G, grrg63 and 16 others like this.
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Tony Levin had the Sledge signature series. They were numbered and came with COA's signed by Tony.

3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    a real good looker

Selios likes this.
  4. Hubba-Whaa

Aug 14, 2000
    True, but weren't they part of the sub series?

primussucks9126 likes this.
  5. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I think you're thinking of the old OLP bass. I think it was like a salmony/orangey 5er.

wyrmspawn and Hubba-Whaa like this.
  6. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Williams looks like a true replica as it appears relic'd and the truss rod adjusts at headstock with no wheel.

JMacBass65 and FenderOli like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    It’s a shame that MusicMan didn’t offer a Louis Johnson , Flea, Gail Ann Dorsey, Pino Palladino , John Deacon or Paul S Denman signature model bass.:rollno:

Louis Johnson is really an oversight . Almost like a slap in the face . What he did for the Stingray and Sabre is like what Larry Graham, Marcus Miller and Jaco did for the Jazz Bass.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1.
    Louis Johnson was the first big name pro that I saw playing a MusicMan.

maxschrek and lowdownthump like this.
  9. Hubba-Whaa

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh yeah, that's right. I remember now.

10. I don't think they're trying to slap anyone in the face. They do these deals with people who are still alive and out there working, still playing their products, and willing to do signature bass deals. We don't know who (or whose estate) has been approached to do these types of runs. Maybe some of these guys' families don't want their name being used to sell products.

11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    These models should have been done years ago while the players were still alive . And most of those I mentioned still are. Isn’t there an article about when they refused to do a Flea signature model ? ( If I remember correctly ).
    Louis Johnson had to go elsewhere as did Flea to get signature models.
    Isn’t the logo supposed to be the Brothers Johnson? Didn’t Leo design the Musicman for Louis Johnson and his style of playing bass? Could all be internet folklore. But that’s the way I’ve heard it told .
    Bernard Edwards also comes to mind when thinking about should have had a signature model .

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Maybe Music Man wanted to, but the artists are currently endorsed by other brands and don’t want jump ship with what they currently have going on. I agree, any of those instruments would be cool.
    But this one is cool too :bassist:

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. Well Flea for one wanted the Stingray itself to become the Flea bass, if I remember correctly. Thankfully Music Man told him to take a hike.

J_Bass, Les Fret, maxschrek and 7 others like this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep .

15. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    I'd like to see Tony's Three of a Perfect Pair Stingray - wonder if Fripp would allow it? Could release it in the Vault, only three copies.

maxschrek, nbsipics and Nedmundo like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice. Relic wear, 3EQ, the literally only "Non-Bad" truss rod adjustment in the industry. Maple on burst. Love everything about it. It's everything that makes a Ray a Ray.

byoung93888 and Randy Ward like this.
  17. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Well said! Louis made me want a Stingray and a Sabre after I saw him play live. Iconic.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Cliff Williams lays it down like it's nobody's business. He gets a great tone out of a SyingRay.

Squittolo, Vinny_G, grrg63 and 8 others like this.
  19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've never been into StingRays for myself, but I totally dig the tone Cliff gets from that one. I doubt I'd get one, but hey, if I'm ever in an AC/DC tribute band...who knows? (And yes, I would love to be in an AC/DC tribute band! :bassist:)

Squittolo, motornap, wmhill and 5 others like this.
  20. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    We’re not privy to what happens with the decision making process and EB/MM has really stepped up their artist model offerings. They only used to do the Steve Morse and Albert Lee guitars and had no artist model basses at all.

Dan Lakin has mentioned in a few podcasts that Pino asked MM for a bass with a string-through body option and they wouldn’t do it. This was years ago , and Pino was already established as one of the busiest bassists in the world when he made this request.

Of course EB/Mm slept on Louis Johnson and Flea. Louis eventually quit playing Stingrays, but Flea was their most visible player by a country mile. From the outside view, it looks like a ton of money could be made by offering a Flea model back in the 90’s when they were the biggest thing.

Eric Boyer, Grapevine921 and Luigir like this.