Cliff Williams surprises me...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by StraffordMike, Dec 24, 2015.

1. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    I recently purchased If You Want Blood which was recently remastered on iTunes and as I'm doing my Christmas wrapping I happen to really hear High Voltage for the first time. Now,mind you, I've had this in album in various forms since the early eighties and never remember hearing the insane groove that Cliff Williams is laying down in that tune. I don't know if the remastering cleaned things up or what but I am impressed, and surprised.
    I've always appreciated his style of playing the song and not necessarily playing "the bass" but I wouldn't have held him up in the same class as, say Geddy Lee or
    John Paul Jones but after really listening to this again he's definitely moved up a few places.

JMacBass65 and A. D. Fairhurst like this.
  2. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I don't disagree, I just can't ever actually HEAR what he is playing on my old cds.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. icebox

icebox

Jul 16, 2009
    Calgary
    Check out his playing on "gimme a bullet to bite on" from Powerage. Really great parts all over that record.

4. Interesting note...Angus and Malcom's brother George played bass on the studio recording of the song "High Voltage" as well as "Little Lover" and "She's got Balls" that's why that bass line is almost funky at times and kinda' not the typical AC/DC bass line in
    "High Voltage" I think he played on a few other various songs on the first three Australian versions of the AC/DC catalog.

Cliff Williams is a cool bass player, unfortunately some of his bass has gotten lost in the overly bright remasters that came out a few years ago. Check out the vinyls if you can, his bass is really warm and in the mix on Powerage, High Voltage, Back in Black and FTATR. He has some really cool bass fills happening at the end of the song "For those about to Rock" as well as some cool stuff all over back in black and Powerage.

5. Any love for Mark Evans and his Ripper? The Jailbreak bassline is just awesome.

6. Yeah, they replaced Evans with Williams for a reason.

7. And, my above post was not meant as a slag on Evans, he did a fine job for them.

And man........all I can really say about this clip is........BON SCOTT RULES!

bassbully likes this.
  8. Mark's bass was never really there in the mix like Cliff's was and although Cliff certainly sticks to a formula his line seem to be more interesting to me.

Btw...All AC/DC fans should read Mark's book...forget what it's called but it's a great read because there are so few "inside" behinds the scenes accounts of the world of AC/DC. For instance, I was shocked to read that the band had considered sacking Bon at various points. Mainly because Dirty Deeds was not originally released in the states because the record label complained about Bon. Crazy to think that now as he has become an icon but when they were trying to break America I guess that was a concern.

9. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I'll admit, when I heard AC/DC for the first time I was put off. Lol ! Dirty Deeds was the first album I heard of their's as a kid ( maybe 4th or 5th grade ) , I can remember that I didn't like Bon Scott's voice. I preferred The B-52's and John Lennon at the time. I love it now , though.

10. Personally, I've never been a fan of Bon's singing.

11. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I can't really hear Williams either and I'm not about to re-buy any AC/DC albums.

12. Same here. Can't stand his lyrics either.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021