1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clinic on getting that jungle/synth sound!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkturnal, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I came across this clip of a Janek Gwizdala clinic. In it, he explains how he runs his pedals through his chain to get that jungle sound that I so want!

http://www.bassplayer.com/Video.aspx?bctid=60611505001&section=artists

I find this demonstration extremely useful (being that I am gadgetedly challenged). Am I correct in assuming that he's using an expression pedal with the lowpass filter (to accentuate that womp sound)?

Incidentally, it seems like everyone prefers the OC2. I use the OC3 (coz I couldn't find the OC2 for sale). I can hear the difference... but I digress. ;)

But the octaver + the lowpass filter combination alone seem to do a very convincing jungle sound. The distortion & delay seem like icing on the cake... but icing is nice. mmmm :D

2. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    yes. exp. pedal a must for LPF whomp.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
  4. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Is it my hangover or did he mention he has his fuzz after Moog low pass filter?

May need to go back over through the numerous synth bass threads, but I was under the impression it's typical to have the fuzz before the low pass to feed it harmonic content for classic Jungle/DnB sounds?

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Outrageously indulgent- excellent stuff!

6. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    Thats so cool sounding. Is he using the pedal to just adjust the cutoff frequency of the filter or something else?

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Interesting, I forgot Janek used fretlesses. I wonder how that impacts the sound.

Perhaps someone could A/B their synth bass setup with a fretted vs fretless bass...?

Edit: Whoops, totally wrong. Rewatched the vid and saw frets. My bad, but the question still stands.

8. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    I'm almost feeling that fretless is a prerequisite to obtain that sound.^^^Either way it sounds really good. Dubstep lines on a bass guitar is next.

9. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    cool vid. i love that style

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The WMD Fatman does 'WOMP!' like nothing else.

11. i NEED an expression filter for my moogerfoogerLPF anyone have one?

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I like and use ring mod to add synth like texture and extra low end kick to bass guitar. After heavy overdrive that then goes thru 8-band eq to keep low end heavy. Comp-overdrive-eq-ring mod-little bit of room reverb or more if called for.

13. Does the moogerfooger lpf require a particular type of expression pedal or will any do?

14. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan

Cool thread and cool video!... I'd missed that one (but saw the video linked in another theread). Ever since I found out about John Davis (and the fact that he's on here!), I've tried to check out his posts.

On a side note, I'd love to just go nuts one day and mix and match pedals. A pedal 0rgy if you would. :D I don't even have a board... Just a single Boss OC3 pedal.

Incidentally, a lot of people here seem to swear by the Woolly Mammoth for fuzz. It costs over $600 in Japan though! That's serious dough for a single pedal. So I may have to find a substitute for the fuzz (especially since I play active basses). I can get the Moog LPF for about $350 though.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    You can build your own Wooly Mammoth for under $50 if you're willing to try the DIY route! I prefer the 4ms Nocto Loco as a waveform generator to feed an LPF though, a very brash and synthy octave down with optional frequency dependent 'tremelo' style effect.

16. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    octave+fuzz+filter is the basic chain for mimicing a monosynth in general(the fuzz doesnt always have to be on). Many classic jungle/dnb sounds were created with synths, synths fed through distortions, etc; using the OC-2 - Moog - distortion would be most akin to a synth using a filtered triangle waveform and feeding the synth into a distortion of some sort.... There's no set order really for creating 'classic dnb tones', and there is something to be said for having some distortion after the filter, but a fuzz/vco/waveshaper-of-some-sort is a good thing to have pre-filter either way. Just all depends on how much gear you want to use and which of those classic types of tones you want to achieve and will get most use of.

Yep, sweeping the cutoff frequency with the exp pedal.

I'd love a fretless, and will get one at some point. Unless there are some inherent tracking deficiencies or something when using fretless, it would be great for synth tones, being able to slide with no stepping between the notes... just have to learn to play fretless proficiently so I don't sound like an old busted analog synth that can't stay in tune :p

Most exp pedals work with 'foogers. I've personally used:

*Moog EP-1 - cheap but works (the EP-2 is the currently produced pedal which is a little better and has range taper control)
    *Maudio Exp - cheapest feeling exp pedal out there
    *Roland EV - Probably the best out of the cheap plastic exp pedals
    *Alesis F2 - nice feel and construction... ..but the internal mechanism broke, and they're discontinued
    *Yamaha FC7 - Not good for pedals, has a huge physical sweep but it is not scaled properly for most pedals, so all the sweep happens in the first 10% of the actual movement.

17. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    very cool, gas burst ahead :O