clink-clunk sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucfor, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Hi, I post this here because the "strings" forum seems to be a bit dead (I got no answer).

Do you think that, a part from paying attention to technique, rising strings and things like that, to substitute nickel strings for stainless steel ones would help to reduce the annoying clink-clunk of many bright sounding basses?

2. Nope..

It's all in the tech's baby :)
  3. Directions for removal of all clank-sound

Step 1:
    Sell Rickenbacker

Step 2:
    Buy P-Bass

Step 3:
    String up with flatwounds, using outrageously high action

Step 4:
    Turn tone knob all the way down

Step 5:
    Finger lightly above pickup

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If your bass is at least decent quality, I firmly believe one shouldn't have to use certain strings, compromise the action, or restrict control settings.

I had a bass that was a notorious "clinker-clanker" for many owners of that bass. Two things solved the problem for me;

1. Lots of tinkering with the action. I like an almost flat neck and I didn't have to settle for high action.

2. Learning to adjusting my technique so that I attacked the strings less "on top" of the strings and more "across" the strings from the side. (I wasn't pushing them "down" onto the tops of the frets so much)

With those two steps, I could dial in all the treble I wanted and still used my preferred stainless steel roundwounds.

The noise never totally disappeared. But it became very acceptable and couldn't be perceived at all in the band's mix.
  5. Rickbass, great advice. My previous post was intended in full sarcasm - my Rickenbacker was a major clanker until my luthier and I got the action properly sorted out, and I adjusted my playing style for the new instrument, compared to my old Peavey, which I had to beat the crap out of to get a remotely decent tone.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I thought it was pretty doggone funny, Jeff.

But there was a time I thought I'd just sell my clanker and be done with it (luckily my Rick wasn't the guilty one).

So many times, I've seen people saying, "Use flatwounds" or "Boost your mids and decrease the treble." What the hell is that?!?! The bass should adjust to the bassist's preferences, not vice-versa.....the tail wagging the dog thing. Otherwise, sell it.

7. what the Fu.. .. .. furniture ?? are you out of your mind dude ?!?!?
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have a rick and i have a P...i'm getting schizophrenic!
  9. Thanx for your posts,also the funny ones.
    I agree with what you wrote, but I must say one thing.You haven't answered to the original question,that was:do you think that nikel strings,all the rest being the same,are less clanky than stainless steel?

10. I think that the advice about technique is right on. But,I think that stainless stell strings definitely contribute to the problem. They are brighter and have more edge. I don't use stainless strings for that reason. I used stainless strings on my Warwick,but started using GHS Boomers nickel wound strings on my Stingray 5. I would say to experiment until you find the right match.
    One of the best things I ever did as a player was to learn how to set up my own bass. I think everyone should learn how to properly adjust a truss rod,etc. It can make quite a difference in your sound and development of you technique. Good luck...