Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clip LED

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 17, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Probobly a stupid question but is it safe to play when the clip LED flashes? not constantly but every couple of seconds or so. I just got back from band practice, first time using my new hartke ha4000 and i had the volume on like 7 but my clip light would flash every so often so i turned down, but then i didnt have enough volume. so is it safe to play if it flashes every few seconds, thanks

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had an HA4000. First of all, you shouldn't have to have it up to 7. But anyway, make sure you don't have all the EQ's at less than flat. That will cut your volume (specifically the mids...don't cut them, or if you do, don't cut much).

Also, make sure you don't have the lows, especially the SUB BASS turned up much. Lows will suck power faster than a Hoover on steroids.

Start by turning the SUB BASS off. Then start with the low flat and adjust as necessary.

But, no if you get occassional clipping that is not too bad. Just try not to let it clip regulary, and definitely not constant.

3. An occasional flash of your clip light is fine. Probably anything short of a constant light will be ok but the most important thing is to listen for problems. Your amp will tell you when there is a problem.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    thanks guys, when i had it running it would go off every couple of seconds or so, never sounded distorted or ne thing, it was acctually nice and clear, so i guess i'll be ok, but im gonna call hartke today and see what they have to say, thanks again

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    What kind of cab are you running it into? Is it a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab?

Also, the D-BASS is just for very low end, and if you use a four string, you shouldn't even need to turn it up at all. That D-BASS will suck power and not contribute much to your tone.

I called it the SUB BASS, but that's the Sub Output on the back.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    its an 8 ohm cab that handles 400watts. the D-bass on my amp isnt even turned up at all and most of my other settings are set at 12 oclock just about, thats just the way i like my sound.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    As long as the light does not turn red/off then you re fine. Maybe turn the compressor down a bit, that usually works for me.

At least on my old '93 Hartke, which doesnt even have the d-bass setting

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, at 8 ohms you are only getting about 230 watts into it from the HA4000 head.

It seems to me that you are trying to push the full 230 watts into a 400 watt cab and that is causing the clipping.

Add another 8 ohm cab to get the full 400 watts out of it, if volume is a problem...or if you only want one cab, replace the 8 ohm cab with a 4 ohm.

Ideally you could keep the 8 ohm for small gigs and add another 8 ohm for larger gigs.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Generally speaking, a quick flash now and then, with no audible distortion, is nothing to worry about if the amp's power rating is matched appropriately to the loudspeaker's.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Interestingly enough, my HA4000 (when I had it) never clipped when I was running it into my 4 ohm 410 cab.

I made two new 210 cabs out of my 410 (easier to haul) and when I ran a single 210 cab (8 ohm) my clip light came on more often than when I ran it with the extension cab (another 8 ohm cab for a total of 4 ohms).

I think it was just a matter of me pushing my 210 cab too hard with the HA4000 into the 8 ohm load...which seems to be what you are doing.

But yeah, generally, if the light comes on only occassionally it shouldn't be a problem.