Clip light inside of Eden xlt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vegaas, May 24, 2004.

1. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    So I was playing my 4x10 XLT and my drummer notices an orange light, that looks like it could come from a spark, appearing and disappearing very quickly from behind my speakers while I was playing. It was coming from behind the top left speaker and looked like a fireworks show behind the speakers.
    I called the store I bought it from, and they told me to cut the horn a bit. They said it is some sort of clipping light for the higher frequencies.
    Has anyone ever heard of this, or have this in the cab?
    First time I have ever heard of this.

P.S. It was big relief to hear this. I thought there was a wiring issue with the cab.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that's the tweeter protection circuit...instead of sending all of that bad juju to your horn, it gets routed to the slo blo fuse mounted to the little black box on the back of your cab (the one with the knob on it) can get these bulbs from eden OR you can do what i do and go to your local auto parts store and pick up some dome light bulbs...theyr'e actually the same thing...take one of your old bulbs out of your cab (just remove the 6 screws securing the crossover to the back of your cab, pull it out and remove the cylindrical glass fuse) so you can verify the stamped on part number with our replacement...i used to play thorugh an eden metro and i currently use a d410xlt and a d115xlt...yeehaw! hope that helped...
  3. Somebody came up with the bright idea (pun intended) of using a small light bulb (like a car tail light) in passive cross-overs to act as a "slow fuse" of sorts. Many cab makers use this approach and it works quite well. Absolutely nothing to really worry about. The light bulb will blow before your tweeter does (which is the point) and it's a lot cheaper to replace.

A concern might be that you're clipping your amplifier though. This can cause it to send distorted high signals at power levels that your cross-over isn't designed to handle. Are you still using the WT600? Is your 410XLT 8 ohms? Are you running bridged? If you could answer these questions we might be able to keep you from having any future problems.
  4. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    The answer is yes to all the questions you have asked. I am running WT 600 monobridge to the XLT at 8 ohms.
    Right now I have the horn dial in the cab set to exactly at 12 o'clock. I will try turning this down a notch or two.
    If you have any suggestions, they are and will be much appreciated.
  5. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    what about your eq settings?
    and enhancer?
    and treble on your instrument if active?

these factors can play a role too
  6. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Had this happen a few weeks ago. No worries. :)
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's doing it's job. Cool the highs a little. It's not hurting anything in the cab.