1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Clip-on Headstock Tuners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brookdalebass, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Brookdalebass

Brookdalebass

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern CA
    So...I've noticed more and more bass players leaving these tuners on the headstock of their basses throughout their shows.

Am I a Lone Ranger, or does this look completely dorky to anyone else?

I have one, and it's super accurate and easy to use. But I tune my bass with it and take it off before I perform. My instruments rarely go so far out of pitch that I have to retune during a set.

Thoughts?

chachized, Ghastly, PillO and 6 others like this.
  2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I think it looks ridiculous.

I tend to put them in the same category as the people who drive with their seat-belts dangling from the bottom of the car door.

But that's just my 2 cents...

chachized, PillO, tattooSAM and 6 others like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Dorky is a good way to describe it.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Who cares!

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You know you're supposed to attach them so they hang off the back of the headstock and nobody can see them but you, right?
    ns-mini-headstock-tuner.jpg

LowRenzo, Will_White, Grumry and 8 others like this.
  6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, how about that!

LowRenzo and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  7. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I never knew it was dorky until I checked talkbass, but then again a lot of what I do is dorky according to my wife and kids. :)

On the other hand, an almost 60 year old dad who plays bass, rides motorcycles and drives 2x the speed limit can't be too dorky I guess.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    What's the best clip on tuner for metal?

Rocker949, PillO, LowRenzo and 5 others like this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Dorky if you're a young guy.
    Don't care if you're old.

10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I'm old, I say dorky.

Les Ismoor, PillO, ONYX and 4 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have one on at every gig!

INTP likes this.
  12. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    We didn't have these gizmos back in my hard playing days. My gig these days is Sunday mornings at church. Our spend conscious staff turns off the A/C at night. So when I go in to rehearse early Sunday it may be close to 80. By the time we play the temps get closer to 70-72 and yes it plays havoc on my tuning. I am constantly tuning so I keep my gizmo on mine.

Brookdalebass, osonu and Jhengsman like this.
  13. I have one for my acoustics. I rarely plug in. No real need for these on my guitars or basses since I have rack mount tuners or pedal tuners.

walldaja likes this.
  14. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Ahhh- The 70’s Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Here are 2 of ^^^^ my basses with this tuner... barely see it! :D
    image.jpeg

15. I have a couple of that exact model which I have used for some time; they are pretty good and nicely hidden. That said, lately I have been using the TC Electronic clip-on version of their PolyTune tuner. It's so much better as a tuner that I don't even care that it doesn't hide as well (though behind the headstock it isn't overly visible) or that I have to flip it open. I have a number of gigs where I don't need to bring an amp or any outboard gear, so I just stick the tuner on my bass and head out... Convenient, accurate, and mostly unobtrusive.

lowplaces, /\/\3phist0 and lz4005 like this.
  16. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    It's useful to clip lead sheets to the music stand, when not in use as a tuner.

Brookdalebass likes this.
  17. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    The tuner is for my convenience, I don't give a sh!T what anybody else thinks.

18. I have to ask, do your basses go out of tune that much when you're playing?

PillO, ONYX, JMacBass65 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    Some tunes require altered tunings.

20. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    Looks lame. I bet you hanging tuner guys wear sandals and cargo shorts and are 40 pounds overweight. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Thummel, ONYX, Doner Designs and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021