1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clip on tuner ?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Scooter Johnson, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Scooter Johnson

Scooter Johnson

Dec 15, 2018
    2018-10-05-094147. 2018-10-05-094147. 2018-10-05-094147. 2018-10-05-094147. I ordered a clip on tuner to go along with my new bass. I picked one off Amazon, picking one that was middle of the road in price. I picked one for around $9. (within my price range - they ran between $4 and $20)
    Not knowing muck about them I picked one right in the middle. :) I guess I was wrong ... I should have gone with something in the higher end ... I picked the Donner DT-2.

I was never able to tune in the "E" string and the "A" string took a very long time to set. After dealing with it for over a week I just gave up ... I headed out to the local shop and took my Bass in with me. The guy there was very helpful and even tried my tuner on two different guitars.

Well, I wasn't doing anything wrong I had a bad machine. The thing wouldn't work on any thick string.

In a review, I would never advise anyone to get the DT-2..

I ended up buying a $13 dollar Snark unit ..The new SN-5 tuner is easy to use and works great ,,,

Anyone elce use clip on tuners and what model do you guys like ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Personal experience, they all suck.

I have a Profile PT 3000 on my stand at home, and an Intellitouch in my gig bag, but neither work as well as the classic Boss tuner (when I am amplified). The phone app version is wonderful. You can adjust the sensitivity which is usefull for my gut strings. I use it as often as my stand tuner.

The clip ons need to be moved around the bridge to locate the spot where the E and A will register...not sure if my bass, my strings or my tuners, but they are necessary evils.

3. I find the TC Electronic UniTune at about $25 works pretty well on the bridge. Its visual aspect is easy to follow on upright, tuning with a bow. There is a PolyTune version that's more expensive - not sure what that's about. The UniTune works fine for me.

4. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Korg Pitchhawk 2. Reads the low E pretty well, has a great display and is priced around $14 at the usual mega-outlets.

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  5. Snark's are pretty good a definitely affordable. I've been using a TC Electronic Polytune recently and it's scary accurate. Never tried their Unitune, but I do feel the Polytune was worth the money.

Jeshua likes this.
  6. I used the Snark but had problems with battery life.

Now I use the virtual Boss tuner.

7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Some tuners don't track the lower notes very well because they were designed more with guitars in mind. You can get those to work fine with a bass if you use the harmonics at the octave to tune instead of the open strings. You'll also find that this tracks faster on just about any tuner if you're in a hurry (like between songs on stage).

Ric Vice and longfinger like this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I’ve never had problems using the Snarks. Then again, I always tune the harmonics, not open strings.

Ric Vice and LBS-bass like this.
  9. Yes, even with the TC, I use the harmonic on the E string. The other 3 strings are fine.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've always been happy with the Snarks. Don't buy a cheapy. A decent one is cheap enough.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I dislike a lot of things about Snarks, but they do a better job of capturing open E than other clip-ons I've used. Luckily, I got two of them free after people left them at jam sessions :thumbsup:

I clip mine onto the bridge because it captures the pitch more easily than when clipped to the peghead

My Korg AW-LT100B also detects open E and even open B on BGs, but the display is not as adjustable as a Snark and has a really stupid on/off switch.

12. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have a few clip-on tuners. I'm not a big fan of the Snark. My fave is the TC Polytune.

Ed Fuqua and LaFaro01 like this.
  13. JimmyT

JimmyT

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    Peterson strobo clip has been on my bass for years - bass setting, always reads the E, long battery life.... It's about $50 but works very well.

BobKay, Kickdrum and Max George like this.
  14. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    With a TC Polytune on the bridge I never had any problems.. it's expensive, but it works fine. How goes the saying??? "I have not enough money to buy cheap" ;)

Lee Moses and rllefebv like this.
  15. s0707

s0707

Jun 17, 2015
  16. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
  17. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I had a couple of planet waves Clip on tuners. They worked, but I kept losing them. So I decided to buy some cheap Chinese ones for around three dollars each on eBay. They are actually OK.

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have had no issues using a Snark with open strings--but maybe it's just me, so that's what I use.

19. TC Polytune. If I lost it I would cry and go and buy another one.

20. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    I have good luck with a red Snark on the tail piece. Seems best location on my bass.