1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clip on tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phalex, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My apologies if this is in the wrong spot, but it sounds like the right place to me.

We are doing a few songs that necessitate my dropping my E string a whole step to D. I know that a detuner key would be a good way to go, but I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

I've been looking at Intelletouch tuners, but the battery compartment seems to have issues according to some reviews I've found.

Korg makes one that looks promising, but it doesn't have a back lit display. That could be problematic.

There's one by Seiko that's intriguing as well.

What has everyone's experience been with these things?? Are they worthwhile, or a waste of money??

JR Bass 62 likes this.
  2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    If you are specifically buying a tuner for dropping to D live, I would avoid the clip ons. I used to use the intellitouch on gigs, until I started dropping a lot. It won't track fast enough for me to tune up or down between songs without a lot of anxiety. I still use the intellitouch if I know I won't be changing tunings at the gig though...

3. LarsLockwood

LarsLockwood Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    I use the intellitouch and it works fine, but as geoffzilla said I would not recommend it for tuning between songs. I use it as a quick reference to make sure my bass is still in tune. Any tuning that I know will require adjustments is done with a tuner that you plug into.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    give me till tonight to post back to this but we use one at work that i use every day. only complaint i have with ANY clip on tuner is that you have to use harmonics to tune, which is no big deal at all.

Anyways, ill post tonight.

5. Do you have a regular stage tuner now? Like a TU-2? If so, I can't see it being more than a few seconds to step on tuner --> twist E tuner for a few seconds --> step off tuner... good to go.

If you don't have a decent stage tuner, I'd look at getting that first, it's pretty helpful in general for quick tuning, muting, etc.

6. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Yeah I have an ancient Arion pedal that works just fine, but I'd like to do it silently. With the clip on, I could turn the volume knob on my bass all the way down and have at it. Presently I just do it by ear, which works OK, but I'd like to be able to do it in stealth mode.

7. You would be better off, buying a decent pedal tuner, like the Boos Tu-2 or the planet waves equivalent, they mute your bass as you step on them to tune and it'll look way more professional than reaching for a tuner and clip it to your bass then removing it, plus it'll track faster.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I can heartily recommend the Ibanez LU20. It's half the price of the Boss (I got my Ibanez for £30, the Boss is usually £60 over here) and everything else out there, built like a tank, can mute the output while you're tuning if you want, has a big note readout LED and bright blue LED in the middle when you hit your tuning, and it's true bypass to boot. I think it's relatively new, I've not seen anyone else using one anyway...

9. I use the Meisel chromatic when I don't want to haul out the TU2. It works great and weighs nothing.

10. You know you want a Hipshot Detuner....I know you said you were going the cheaper route but at only 60 bucks or so its worth it. You could probably find one used. I just bought a Hipshot BT2 from a fellow TB'er for $55 shipped.

Its well worth it if your gonna use drop D and Standard tuning. Its quick, silent, and could be done without a tuner.

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A Hipshot is just so much easir!

12. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    The clips ons really do not work so well on bass, I agree with the others. Get yourself a regular tuner, or come out of the line out on your amp, or even tuner out. I used a hipshot for years, they do work great. I 5 string works evn better :D

13. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Yeah, I think you're right about this. I have a real aversion to putting any money at all into my crapass Fender, but I've been gigging with it so much lately that I really think I need to reevaluate my position.

Thanks for all the informative responses!

Looks like a Hipshot X-tender is going to be on order in the near future.

14. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i have to agree completely with the others there are too many drawbacks to the intella-clip on for what its worth, it does not track well enough to quickly get a good tuning done between songs, sound to me like you are actually in need of a good tuner, a Detuner would be the way to go, my question is why purchase something now that is only going to have to be replaced or upgraded? just my .02's

15. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I literally have a HANDFUL of Intellitouch tuners, pretty much one for every instrument that has no on-board tuning.

I have never even HEARD of "battery compartment issues." I'm not even sure what that means. I've never had a single problem with the half-dozen of them that I own. I have also give a couple as gifts to my son, the gui****, and HE has never mentioned any problems.

I'd get the Intellitouch PT in a heartbeat, if I were you. They come under warranty. If you have a "battery compartment issue," whatever that is, send it back for replacement.

Get two, so you have a "backup."

Sorry, but I just get irritated at how people post online reviews that highlight problems they have encountered, and which is the sole purpose for their review.

Not a single second's worth of problems with any of eight Intellitouch tuners that I have purchased.

16. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Disagree totally. I have had some problems with "tracking" that are quickly alleviated by finding the spot on the instrument that "works."

Again, I completely recommend the Intellitouch.

And no, I'm not an "endorsing artist." Anyone who wanted ME to endorse anything for money is insane.

17. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    They "don't work well" on the lower "E" string - IF you don't do the smart thing and "ping" the 12th Fret harmonic. When you do THAT, they work fine.

18. BassoProf

BassoProf

Feb 12, 2008
    Bristol UK
    I have a low D on my acoustic bass, and I've just bought a Cherub WST-523 clip-on tuner that picks it up with no problem. Seems to be very quick and stable, and less than £10 (inc postage) from eBay. Works on my electric basses as well.

Don't know how they do it for the money, but I think my Boss tuner has just retired!

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I have the intellitouch PT. Yes it does work on bass, and yes not so well on open lower strings, esp on a 5. But works quite well on harmonics as mentioned. But you'll need to make sure your bass is set up well with accurate intonation to do this. You also need a light touch for it to track the note properly. Over zealous plucking can throw it.

Only problem I've found is it doesn't track so well on bass in noisy environments, such as a stage during a gig! Sympathetic vibrations seems to throw it. But this is the environment stompbox and rack tuners thrive in and are designed for. Quick and easy to do. They don't cost the earth, and a decent one will be no more than the Intellitouch.

The intellitouch is good, but IME not up to the job of a quick mid gig stage tuning duty

It also seems to me you need to save up and get the Hipshot, one of the best mods I ever bought. But still get a tuner too, you'll need it to set the D-Tuner correctly.

20. I bought an Ashton Clip On CPT100 tuner last night.

52908_l.

I was realy impressed by it so i bought it :p

Well, in my band we play drop B (our tuning is B, F#, B, E. Its called drop B right?)

When i tried it on a bass on the studio after i tuned it on Drop B, it could catch the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string but not the 4rth the upper one.

It's maybe because its too "bassy" :p

If i set up the bass for this kind of tuning, will the tuner work well?

And also, it has 4 options for tuning.

Violin, Guitar, Chromatic and Bass.

The guy that sold me the tuner told me to use it on chromatic.

But if there a Bass option why use the chromatic?