Clip signals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buddy, Sep 29, 2003.

1. buddy

Sep 29, 2003
    Sanford , Fl
    I am having a world of trouble with clip signals and my amp . I am currently running a Crate BXH-220 head and a Sunn 410H cabinet coupled with a Hartke cabinet with one 15 in it . Anything over half volume setting on the amp and I get a constant clip signal . Changed heads and went to a Hartke HA3000 , same thing . Is it possible that the Sunn cabinet is the cause and not the amp itself . I am a new bassist and need some advice . I've even changed guitars to see if that is the problem .
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My guess is that you need to get a bigger amp to get the volume you want. You don't have to turn an amp up all the way to get it to clip. If you can't do that right away, check your EQ. If you have the bass control cranked, that's probably robbing you of a lot of your usable power right there.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia

Try running your pre-gain lower and your post gain higher. sometimes this gives a bit more headroom.
  4. buddy

Sep 29, 2003
    Sanford , Fl
    Thanks for the advice . I have 3 shows to do this weekend and will try to change the settings on the eq and take the guitar input level down a bit . The new Hartke bass I got has the active bass boost so amybe its just overpowering the input on the amp . I am gonna consider a bit more horsepower , thinking about getting one of those Behringer 300 watt amps to try .;)
  5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Another thing is a lot of preamps drive the clip lights from either the preamp or the power amp. Some have two cliplights, one for each.
    Meaning of this is that you might be clipping the preamp and still only getting half power out of the power amp if the gain or input volume is up and master is down.

Figure that the gain in the preamp is for setting how much (if any) grunge you want in the sound, and the master (if it has one) is for setting volume level.

If your bass is active, look for a second input with less gain. Some basses have so much output that they will clip anything.

Might not be about amp power at all (but more is usually better .........)

That should get you going Ok.