1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

clipping...did i mess up???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryanlkelso, May 7, 2006.

1. Last night I played an outdoor gig with a relatively new rig which is a Carvin b1500 and Avatar 2x12 delta. The pa system was underpowered so I had my amp up loud with every knob right around 5 and the active input switch on. Towards the end of our set I turned around to adjust the drive and noticed that almost every note I played caused the preamp clip light to come on. I never saw the protect light however, but is there a chance that I damaged the head and or speakers? I never noticed any distortion but the powerstrip I was plugged into ended up blowing right before our last song and had to be changed out. The amp seemed to work fine after that once I turned it down. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    If it has a built in limiter, I'd say you'll be fine. The preamp clipping will just make you sound bad, not blow your speakers.

3. Cool...
    Does anyone else know what exactly the protect function on the brx heads protect against?? I.e. power irregularities? Are things such as power conditioners really necessary?
    Another question,
    my avatar cab is 4 ohms and handles 1000w. The carvin puts out 1250w at 4 ohm. Just how hard could I "turn it up" before damaging the cabinet?
    Thanks yall...

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno about that specific head, but my guess is that the protect function is some kind of built in limiter to protect the speakers from too much power. Preamp clipping wont hurt your speakers, so dont worry, just turn down the preamp gain or bass eq. As far as how far you can turn up a 1250 amp into a 1000 watt cab? There is no real formula that translates to knob settings. The difference is minimal, so i wouldn;t sweat it. The real thing to do is to listen carefully to the cabinet to hear if it is distorting. I am surprised that at that wattage that you had to turn the amp up so loud. If this is a regular problem, and if the amp can safley power a 2 ohm load, you might want to consider a second cabinet for big gigs.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Carvin B-1500 1900 watts a 2 Ohms. According to their web site so it could power another 4 ohm cab. That would move a lot more air.