Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clipping diode lights up, amp makes airhorn sound!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAxe, Oct 7, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I want to run both an effected signal and a clean signal from my bass to my amp.

I got a Dunlop Bass Wah 105Q. It doesn't have a on/off switch. I got an A/B box which allows either or both to be on.

I ran one cable from my bass (passive pick-ups) to the Input of the switching box. One cable from output A to Input of wah. One cable from output B to a Y connector. One cable from output of wah to the Y connector and Y connector to amp.

I understand that I am splitting the signal and expected the output to be diminished. When I have the clean signal selected, the volume is low. When I have the Wah channel selected, it works but is also low. I expected this.

When both outputs are on, the clipping diode on my amp lights up and the amp makes an airhorn-like sound. My instincts tell me that isn't good for the amp. My amp is a G-K 1001RB, if that makes a difference.

This doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing? It is not like I am running a short to ground. If anything, I'd think the 105Q would be bypassed as the signal takes the lesser of the two loads. Could the box be miswired? Am I supposed to run the effected signal and the clean signal to separate amps? Should I try this again with a basic effect pedal to eliminate the 105Q as part of the problem?

2. And of course since this is about AMPS, it should go in the AMPS forum.

3. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    And of course since this is about setting up all of the wiring and switching and effects pedals with my amp and my bass. My bass is involved, but I didn't put it in Basses. My effects are involved but I didn't put it in effects. Thus, I put it in Setup.

But, whatever. :rolleyes:

If you think it will help, thanks.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If I understand you right you have created a feedback loop (the output of the wah is connected back to the input via the Y cable and the A/B box). Most likely this is what creates the howling. You need some kind of mixer to do what you want, such as the Boss LS-2, that would then replace both the A/B and Y-cable.

Edit: Had I seen that :rolleyes: before answering I may have opted not to. Don't mess with the moderators, they are always right... ;) ;)

5. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Didn't mean to be rude.

By my reasoning, it was in the proper forum. I got pissed off after searching all over for it, trying to figure out why the hell it disappeared with no warning.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    setup is relevant to setup of basses I.E truss rod, bridges that sort of thing.. not wires to amps and effects to amps

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    oddentity beat me to it.. but you get the idea ;)

8. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Doh! And of course, the 9V battery being part of that loop is also dropping my signal voltage by 9V, hense the reduced volume. I had forgotten about that.

Bummer, I got the A/B box and the Y just so I could do this. Experimenting can be expen$ive!

Is the Boss LS-2 a footswitching device?

Thanks.

9. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    This is such a simple task. Does it really require a forum all to itself?

If it is only about the bass, then why not just cover this topic in the Basses forum?

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Don't I know it. :)

The LS-2 is a very versatile little pedal, it's bassically a line switch (or A/B) pedal that has several different modes. It has two effect loops with independent volume and can switch between

- A / Bypass
    - B / Bypass
    - A / B
    - A / B / Bypass
    - A mixed with B / Bypass
    - Output select (three outs)

You could connect your bass to A for clean sound and the wah in the B loop, and select the A mixed with B mode, you'd mix the clean and effect signal and have independent volume on each loop, and step on the pedal for bypass if you want clean only.

Check it out at www.bossus.com

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    And, come to think of it, this should be in Effects (?) :)