Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clipping like crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oo0o00o0oo, Dec 11, 2000.

1. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    My amp clips at very low volumes, preamp at 3 power at 3. Could I have gotten a bad cab? I'm sure it's not my bass.

2. is it possible that you have a tone knob up all the way?
    if i have the bass knob all the way up on my SWR it clips constantly, it doesn't sound bad but the light comes on a lot

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What model are you guys using. I had an swr amp that had a clipping problem and I took it to 2 different places before it got fixed. Turns out it was the capasitors that had worn out. My studio 220 works fine now.

4. i have a SWR workingman 15, when i turn the bass up all the way the cliping light comes on but it doesn't sound like it is

5. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Even with the bass EQ turned down, it still clips constantly. Im using a Trace Elliot 150SMC through two TE 210 cabs.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Check the Sum of the Cab Impedances VS the Amp´s Minumum Impedance.

Check the Nominal Power Rating of the Cab VS the Cabinet´s Power Handling.

Please post that information for Diagnosis.

7. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    The amps minumum impendance is 4 ohms. Each of the 210 cabs are 8 ohms. Each cab is rated at being able to handle 250 watts. The full output of the amp is only 150 watts. Even when I run only one cab for a load of 8 ohms it clips.