1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clipping on my EdenWT 800 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ModulusQ6, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ModulusQ6

ModulusQ6

Sep 1, 2013
    Hey guys,

I just joined about a month ago. I used to just scour the website but then decided to be a member. Anywho, this is my first post and I'm having a problem.

I recently bought an Eden WT 800 (version C) and an Eden XLT 4x10 cab to go along with it. So far I'm just using the one cab. I've played two gigs with it thus far.

The issue I'm having is that when I play out and I pump up my sound, the left output light on the front is turning red when I play some thumping low notes. This never happens at home because I don't have to play loud at home, but gigs I gotta turn up.

I have my master right at 10 o' clock, gain is just a tad to the left of noon, and bass volume on my Modulus is almost all the way up. And since I'm only using 1 speaker, the speaker is going into the "Amp/Out High" input. The Eden XLT 4x10 is 8 ohms so I don't think that's the issue. I put the volume knob on the back of speaker between 12 and 1 o'clock.

So what is causing this clipping? There are a lot of inputs on the back of the Eden head so am I using the wrong one? I figured that this head could get really loud, but I'm getting that scary red light so I'm worried. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I think from what you said that you need to run your master volume higher, and the gain and your instrument volume lower.

The red light is telling you that the level of your bass (controlled by the combo of instrument volume and gain) is overloading the preamp.

Try this:

- Set your instrument volume at say 2/3
    - Set gain at 11:00 or noon.
    - Use the master volume to set the overall volume you need

(I don't use an Eden cab so I don't know about cab adjustments)

3. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    If you are running one side of the amp, you are only putting 300 watts into that D410xlt which is rated at 700 watts, so you are running out of headroom at higher volumes.

You need to run it in bridged mode. At 8 ohms that will give you 880 watts into the D410xlt (again rated at 700 watts) which should be just about perfect.

Also, you need to set your level properly. Page 13 of the manual I've given you the link to tell you how Eden recommends that you set it. Don't worry about the fact that it's for the WT800B, the B and C versions are close enough that you can use it for basic information.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/info/manuals/pdf/WT800B.pdf

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
  5. Make sure that the Bi-amp and bridge mode switches are OFF.

The tweeter knob on the back of the cab has nothing to do with the output limit light.

The above posts are good recommendations also.

6. ModulusQ6

ModulusQ6

Sep 1, 2013

So since I am only using one speaker, I should engage Bridge mode?

I'll give that a try as well as fix my levels.

7. ModulusQ6

ModulusQ6

Sep 1, 2013

The indicator I am referring to is referenced in the manual on page 7. It's called "output limit indicators"

8. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I'd run it in bridged mode, if that's a WT-800C then it will run bridged mode in 8 or 4 ohms, so it will work with your cab regardless of its impedance. Please note you need to use the bridged output in this case.

That will put 800 watts into that cab, which is rated at about 700. As long as you listen for speaker wear, when/if you really crank the volume, you should be fine running that setup.

Generally, with both my WT-550 and WT-800, I tend to run the gain below or around noon to reduce clipping. Backing off the gain, and increasing the master is a better route for volume with those heads, as opposed to a tube head where you tend to push the gain higher.

Also, do you have the compressor engaged? On my 800 it seems to help with this considerably.

9. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    "and bass volume on my Modulus is almost all the way up."
    I think this might be the issue. Try turning down the bass volume on your bass, and see if it goes away.

10. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Yes, engage the bridge mode. Set your levels according to the manual. And be judicious about your EQ. Even though you will have a little extra headroom, you will run out of headroom quickly if you crank the bass or the enhance. In case you don't know, the enhance know works like a smiley EQ. Increasing the enhance setting boosts the bass and treble frequencies.

11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    You and I posted at almost the same instant. My question was for the OP--he referred to a "left output light" on the front and the set level indicator is the light farthest on the left side.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the OP runs his amp in Bridge he should NOT use regular 1/4" Phone speaker cables. Speakons are the safest bet for running in Bridge.

13. ModulusQ6

ModulusQ6

Sep 1, 2013

I've read through the manual a bunch of times, and I think my glaring lack of knowledge of heads and cabinets is making it difficult for me to understand haha. Could you explain to me exactly what are the differences between all the modes (bi-amp, bridged, and the high/low inputs)

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm starting to catch on

14. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    There are two separate amps in an Eden WT-800. Both run @ 440 Watts & 4 ohms, 550 @ 2 ohms.

With the standard mode, each amp is separate. Each amp gets the full frequency spectrum of the preamp output.

In Bridged mode, the amps are combined; so 2 amps @ 550 watts & 2 ohms = 1 amp @ 1100 watts & 4 ohms. 2 amps @ 440 watts & 4 ohms = 1 amp @ 880 watts & 8 ohms.

Bi-amp mode separates the low and high frequencies, based on the crossover knob's position. It then pushes the low frequencies out of the Low amp output, and the highs out of the High amp output.

Bi-amp-ing is generally used in stereos now and is, in a lot of ways, just leftover from when bass speakers were not full frequency. Folks used this quite often in the 80s and 90s, but it's not used much these days for bass.

That being said I've messed around with it as I have older Cavin 4x10 and 1x18 cabs. That rig together normally sounds terrible with a standard amp, but bi-amped it can get a very sub bass kind of sound.

15. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Hawthorne, NY
    Your input level is to high. Plug in the bass, turn the master all the way down, turn the gain up until you see the red light come on then turn it down a little. Make sure you are hitting the strings as hard as you would while playing live. Once that is set leave it alone and adjust the volume using the master dial. This should fix your issue. If after doing this you don't have enough volume then its time to explore bridged mono. Using bridged mono won't fix your input from clipping.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    1) the knob on the back of the cab isn't a "volume knob," it's to set the level of horn output relative to woofer output.

2) you shouldn't be using any input on the back of the amp for your bass. use the one on the front.

nice rig; you should be pretty happy with it once you get the hang of it!