1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clipping Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FrettFretless, Mar 15, 2013.

1. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Jan 2, 2013
    Hey people, do you think it's possible to cause clipping to happen in a pedal that's not an overdrive/distortion pedal? I'm talking about just slamming the input of given pedal with something hefty, and getting the electronics to overdrive. Possible? Advisable? Anyone do this?

Thought it might be an interesting thing to think about since I recently got some distortion coming from my bass-converted crybaby wah for guitar, and it had some pretty useable tones.

2. Yes you absolutely can. As long as you don't go stupid with the levels (like running an amp speaker output into the effect input), experiment away.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Any circuit can be clipped.

4. ...whether or not that is a good thing depends on the pedal and the resulting sound. Some pedal circuits can do interesting things when over stimulated especially analog ones, digital otoh never has a pleasing result. There are even some popular circuits based on over stimulated circuits like the Xotic EP Booster and Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery.
    I have several modulation pedals that have interesting overtones when over stimulated like a Dan Electro Psycho Flange and old EHX Small Stone and Small Clone

5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yup. My (well thought out) T. Rex Reptile delay has an input gain knob and LED to adjust for control of the clarity of the signal, in addition to the standard output gain controls.

6. My flanger is now unusable to me because my T-bird has such a hot output that it kills the flanger. It's also a pretty crappy flanger so there's that side of it too...

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    My Schumann Electronics Lion pedal will clip any amp even without the boost engaged the instructions tell you to turn the pedal all the way down before you engage it.