Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clipping Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Milo Desmond, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Milo Desmond

Milo Desmond Guest

Oct 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City
    Hey there all. Quick question for those who are more learned than I...

How bad is it to clip the pre on your head?

I have an SWR Bass 750 that I am running into a Megoliath at 4 ohms. I play a Warwick Corvette 5 (plugged into the active jack, of course) and a Geddy Lee sig. (passive jack, of course). I give just the slightest boost to bass and treble, (about 1 o'clock) and a mids are flat.

Problem is, I clip at half volume. Gain is at 12 even, and it does it worse with the Geddy. The clipping is nothing audible, mind you. Just the red clip led lights up. I do tend to play hard. Action is real high on both basses.

Any pointers on lowering the amount of clipping? If you need any other info, let me know. Thank you.

2. ? Simply turn down the gain.

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Mike,
    On the SWR's you adjust the Gain (with the Master off) by playing your bass as hard as you typically play it. Back off on the Gain until the red clip LED only lights up intermittently (at the hardest playing). Then adjust your overall volume using the Master control. Preamp clipping will eventually damage your speakers!:eek:

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, that's not really true.

But that's excellent advice about setting the preamp gain. My Eden works the same way.

5. Good advice on setting gain, but preamp clipping won't damage speakers.;)

6. Milo Desmond

Milo Desmond Guest

Oct 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks for all your advice. Turns out my problem was in the eq. I had the mids boosted a LOT for some reason. I think it got rotated in transport or something like that. (Never let your drummer carry your rack ;) )

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You know I allways questioned that but years ago I remember reading it in my SWR manual. Turns out I misinterpeted the following statement:

Note: The Preamp Clip LED indicates that at some point the preamplifier is clipping. No harm is being done to your amplifier but, CLIPPING OF THE POWER AMPLIFIER CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR LOUDSPEAKERS AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED!

You're right, there is a difference in the PREamp and POWER amp!

:oops: