1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

clipping problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wesofthedead, Aug 28, 2007.

1. wesofthedead

wesofthedead

Aug 27, 2007
    i bought a used GK 400 about 2 months ago and i brought it on tour with me for a month, and had no problems at all. now im home and i had practice and for some reason everytime i hit a string the amp would clip and turn off for about 30 seconds. i unplugged it and plugged it back in and it booted up right away and when i hit a string the amp didnt turn off but the light for the clipping kept blinkin and in time turned off again. the volume and the gain wasnt even that high i had it real low. i asked a few people and they said maybe a fuse, or a wiring problem, but id liek to know befor i do anything to it. does anyone got any help.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes- take it to a tech to look at in person. There is unfortunately no way to diagnose something like that by "long distance".

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A protection circuit is engaged, could be a short in the speaker cable.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I agree with Bill, most likely you have a shorted speaked cable. Try another.