Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clipping Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicnoid, Jan 29, 2003.

1. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    hey Guys...
    i thought with my QSC RMX 2450 i would have enough power to get high volume without driving the amp hard,also i thought that this would make me able to really dig in the strings without clipping...

well, to say it like it is, it doesn´t deliver much volume without clipping...

i have a stingray4 running into a SVP-PRO & Qsc Rmx 2450(bridged mono,Clip Limiter on)to a
    mesa 4x10"(600w@8ohm)...

I´ve tried crankin´ the QSC and turning down the svp,but as soon as you raise master clipping comes on...
    Same Thing happens when both amp and preamp are turned halfway up...
    With Volume (and hard picking) comes Clipping...

What´s a man to do...?:confused:

P.S: convincing Guitarists to turn down is not an Option in my Case...

2. I hope this doesn't sound too elementary, but is the pad switch depressed on the SVP Pro? It should be. That should allow more gain at the preamp stage to be used.

If that's not it, maybe Bob Lee (Mr QSC) will put his $.02 in on this.

3. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    sorry, I forgot...
    Pad Switch is depressed...

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Make sure you have the output hooked up correctly.

If you're using the binding posts, be sure to use only the two red ones in the middle.

If you're using a Speakon output, use the upper one only and make sure the Speakon plug on the cable is wired to pins 1+ and 2+.

The RMX amps have a bridged mono protection circuit that compares the outputs of both channels. If one is not a mirror image of the other, something's wrong, and it'll trigger the protection circuit. If you run the amp in bridged mono but connect the speaker load to only one channel, that side will clip at a lower voltage than the other. That side then will not be a mirror image of the other side, and the protection circuitry will kick in.

Also make sure the inputs are not in parallel, and channel 2 is turned all the way down.

5. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    well,i use a Speakon wired to pins 1+ and 2+...
    Channel 2 is turned down and I´ve Checked the 10-pin selector switch again...all set up properly...

I can´t see what the problem is...
    Could it be that I would need a second Cab for higher volume?

But then again,I should be able to get SOME Volume out of my current setup, with that power amp bridged...i just can´t release it somehosw...
    *** could be wrong?:mad: :( :mad:

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    How do you have the DIP switches (1 through 10) set?

7. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    ok,setting is:

1 right (clip Limiter CH1 on)
    2 right (Filter 30 Hz)
    3 left (Filter on)
    4-8 right
    9 right (doesn´t matter I guess) Filter Setting Ch2
    10 left (Clip Limiter CH 2 off)

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    How are 4 through 7 set? I don't have an RMX sitting nearby to look at.

9. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    OK; they are set like:

4 right (parallel inputs) left would be stereo
    5 right ( " " )
    6 right (bridge mono on)
    7 right ( " " " )
    8 right (Filter CH 2 off)

10. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    damn,IS there a solution...??
    i mean, how much power (amp) does one need to
    get some frickin´ Volume without the thing clippin´ ALL the goddamn time...?

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Also make sure the inputs are not in parallel, and channel 2 is turned all the way down.

12. nicnoid

nicnoid

Dec 13, 2002
    well, i just can´t find out what it is...

I´ve got the RMX set up properly for Bridge Mono Mode (Dip Switch set like in the manual,CH 2 Gain turned down,etc.)

I got the problem decreased a bit by chaning EQ Settings, but still the Clip LED continues to flicker at hard played passages at my desired Volume..

Could it be that this clipping at hard attacked notes just can´t be avoided because of the high
    peaks (and is therefore not too bad?)?
    Or am I about to damage my Amp (or Speakers)with this kind of use???

13. Had the identical issue with my rig -- found it was due to the peak power needed while slapping or "digging in" , anyway , the addition of a compressor/limiter solved the problem completely -- good luck