Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Clipping" sound from high pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've been having trouble with preamp clipping from my new DiMarzio Model P, which has very high output. Last night, I realized that some of the "clipping" may have been caused by the low E string vibrating too close to the pickup's protruding polepiece, mabe even grazing it. (Couldn't hear it acoustically or see it though.) That could explain why sometimes I would hear "clipping" without the indicator light coming on.

So I lowered the pickup's bass side considerably (about 4mm), and the problem seemed to disappear. The tone from the E string and overall string balance improved too.

But the reduced output from a lower pickup would reduce preamp clipping, so I'm still not entirely sure whether the string getting too close to the polepiece caused the problem.

Can a string vibrating too close to a pickup cause static similar to preamp clipping?