1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clipping the input of my compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Oct 6, 2006.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Whats upp?

i've been using a pedalworx mcsqueeze for a while and been very pleased with the results. But lately I've been noticing that when i dig into notes, there is a noticable crunch of mildly unpleasant distortion. I play a passive fender jazz with bartolini 9k dual coil pickups.

I recently swapped the strings on my jazz bass from DR Hi-beams to TI jazz flats (i duno if they're louder). The internal trim pot in the pedal did not help because when i turned the compression down, the distortion increased, and it was just too "squishy" at higher settings. Im positive Im clipping the compressor and not my amp.

So far the only solution I've found is to back off the pickup volume on my bass, reducing the output into the signal chain. I get a similar tone, but it seems sorta tedious rather than having both pickups on 100%.

Is there any way I could change something in my bass or McSqueeze to eliminate the distortion????

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The McSqueeze circuit is prone to that type of distortion. You could mod it with a pot (or a resistor) at the input to reduce your bass volume at the pedal instead of the bass itself.

It may be tedious using the volume knobs on your bass, but otherwise why have them on there at all? ;)

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Personally, if I had the time/really wanted to, I'd love to replace my PJ's volume knobs w/ toggle switches. I've even thought of creating a mini looper of sorts for the tone knob as well, and replaceing the tone knob with either a solid resistor, or a pot that you adjust with a screwdriver. The looper would be toggle switch based as well.

4. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    Just a thought:
    Why not simply LOWER your pups? This will lower your output and you won't have to do "open heart surgery" on your bass.

If this dosen't work, THEN try something else.

5. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    That goes against my deeply imbued religious beleifs.

Anyone know which pot/resistor to replace?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021