1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clipping the input

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    How do you know you are clipping an input if you don't have a clip LED on the amp? Or, does it even matter as long as it sounds good and musical?

The Walkabout has no such clip LED's on the input or poweramp side, which I'm used to having both in my old rack rig. It sounds great turning up the gain to give it more overdrive. I tried adding in my Sansamp BDDI to the front and it gave it some real great overdrive/grind and more "oomph" (probably could get the same without the Sansamp through lots of tweaking on the WA). But how do I know when too much is too much? Or again, is too much only when it starts to not sound good on the preamp side? From what I understand, I'll know when I'm clipping the poweramp side because it'll fart out or make some horrible deathly noises, right?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's right- use your ears, they will (or should) inform you of any clipping. :)