1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

clipping to blowing out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warswr, Jun 8, 2007.

1. warswr

warswr

Oct 21, 2006
    Hey Fellas

I was out playing a gig tonight with my 500 watt amp hear into 4x10 and we were jamming pretty hard, thus the amp was being pushed pretty well. At some point during the show i smelled an intense fire/overheated smell so i checked out my head and the smell wasn't coming from it and upon further investigation it smelled like it was coming from my 4x10. I was clipping pretty good in the preamp (the indicator led was having a field day), and i was wondering if that would mess with the cab at all and drive it too hard. I was thinking maybe it was sending a square wave to the speakers which was hard on it or something?

Any insight would be great!

2. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Square waves have a lot of high frequency content. It is easy to overload tweeters in bass cabinets with square waves.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Clipping LEDs are usually colored red. There's a reason for that. And yes, chances are quite good that you toasted your tweeter and/or crossover. Since a 500 watt amp pushed into clipping is quite capable of transient peaks of well over 1,000 watts you may have damaged a woofer or two as well.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021