1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clipping your cable to the bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by westland, Oct 30, 2006.

1. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I've seen a number of bassists in concert (in fact maybe every performing bassist actually does this) who clip their amplifier cable to the back of the guitar somehow, so that it doesn't accidently pull out, or get in the way when they move around. I can't really see how they've done this, and I'm sure someone on the board can tell me what is used to hold the cable in place.

2. yeah, put your bass on get the cable and loop it between your body and the strap, plug it in and your done

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    .... you mean around the straplock ... sure that makes sense. But the players I've seen seem to have some clip ... nothing seems to move at all, and the cable seems to go onto the back of the bass somewhere.

I suppose I should just go up after a show and find out how it is done

4. thats a wireless pack clipped to the strap

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    There is a thread here somewhere on wireless systems. Once you have tried one you will never go back to hard wired. :)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have, and I have. Many times.

7. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Same here.

8. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I saw this most recently when Rikard Malmet (who lives here in HK) came to the University. He may in fact have had a wireless system. I'm going to ask him about lessons when the semester is over, and I can ask him then. He was playing on a Warwick 4, .... I suspect you guys are right about the looping.

9. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Most definitely. Thats all you need to do, no clips or anything like that.

10. actually, i think dunlop or planet waves sold a "cable clip" a few years ago. it was a little velcro strap witha hole for a strap button. it basicaly held the cable the same way that a strap does, only with velcro. and it only cost $9.99!!! :)

11. um, the reason you dont see those around anymore is because people with brains realized that for the low cost of free you could do the same thing by looping the cord between the body of the bass and the strap

12. My TRB5 Mk1 had a jack socket that pointed UP. If you looped through the strap it just heaved it out of the socket, But if you didn't the leverage on the socet bent the contacts.

I did hate having it route it a new out hole. ;)

13. I use the monster 90 degree/straight jack. The angled jack goes into the p bass and up behind the strap. Keeps the cable behind me, I've taken a header off a stage stepping on the cable hanging in front of me and causing me to trip.

I loop the straight jack end a couple of times around the amp rack and secure it to the amp rack, my GK head does not react well if the cable is stepped on and wiggles the jack in the head. My wife however... :D

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020