Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cassanova, Sep 16, 2000.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have a Hartke 2000 bass amp running into a Carvin RLT 4x10 cab. Ive noticed that it clips. (im only pushing 120 watts into a 600 watt cab) thus i think this is the problem. Is there a way to prevent the amp from clipping every time I go to rehersal. I have tried using the compressor by increasing the compression but that only seems to make the sound cut out somewhat, when I lower the compression level the sound boosts, ( i know thats a little normal when little to know compression is used) Is there anything I can do stop it from clipping, I cant afford a new head right now because I just bought a NightBass.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The FX unit of the ART Nightbass should have a built- in limiter - that would be the effect of choice IMO to prevent the Hartke from clipping.

3. >Is there anything I can do stop it from clipping,

Clipping occurs when you push your amp too hard. To avoid clipping, play at lower volumes.

Your immediate problem seems to be a lack of power...

John

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think John is right.
    You have to find out the max. volume your amp is capable of (with this cab).
    First make sure that you don't already overdrive the pre amp.
    As the Hartke has no clip indicator light, you have to use your ears:
    Turn down the master to very low volume, than try to find the max. possible pre amp gain level without distortion occuring. Turn up the solid state and/or tube gain, as soon as you hear distortion you have reached the limit, back off a little.
    Now do the same with the master.

Tip: low frequencies eat power, mid frequencies cut through the band mix.
    If you leave the 32Hz and 64Hz sliders flat or even turn them down a little and boost 125, 250 and 500Hz you will need less amp power and be 'louder' at the same time.

Repeat the above procedure after every major change of EQ setting, because the EQ also influences the signal level.

Hope that helps,
    Matthias