Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clippity, Clip, Clip, : REDLIGHT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 7, 2004.

1. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I just got back from a Widemouth Mason show. Great, great show. Very entertaining and well performed. Anyways......

Earl (bassist) was playing a dingwall Z2 through an eden 800 into 2 SWR 410's.

Every time he played a note the "set level" light and the clip lights both came on. His master volume was just over 2 o clock. The gain was around the same. It looked as if his EQ was flat as well.

The bass sounded great. I was getting a lot of stage sound as I was standing really close and I couldn't hear any bad noises coming from his cabs. If I didn't know any better I would have thought that both of the lights were signal lights.

What is he wrecking, if anything, by running the amp clipping the entire show? Is this normal for edens? I know I own an 800 and have never set it at a level that allows it to clip.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i hear anything solid state it's not that good for it. i clip mine sometimes.
    oh, and your avatar is the ****.
    :hyper: .

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nothing bad to the amp really, (solid state or no)
    if the clipping in the poweramp section was very breif (like on transients) he wsa probably ok - it's the speakers that get hurt eventually, but only if the amp is allowed to clip for a long time at once, and the resultant power is enough to fry the speakers
    if you couldnt hear any distortion then he was probably ok - my wt-400 poweramp clip light comes on just before audible distortion
    clipping the preamp and/or eq won't really hurt the speakers, but it sounds pretty terrible
    fwiw, 2 o'clock on the master of an eden when the preamp is set as high as 2 o'clock is pretty extreme - mine was clipping pretty good by then, usually 12 o'clock is about it on an eden master volume

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My 800 has master at max all the time and gain on whatever I need for volume. Sounds great.