Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clips from Second Story's New Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mark Gollihur, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Here are some "bass-centric" clips from our new album; keep in mind these are very rough and virtually un-mixed with almost no effects. I'm posting these because several folks in a couple threads have asked for them, and it made sense to post it in the correct forum - and make one centrally located thread, rather than clutter up the whole board.

Here are the clips (all are links to streaming MP3 files - hope my web server can handle the bandwidth):

Abducted - this song features my six string PBC bass being played with "Funk Fingers," those super cool miniature finger drumsticks that Tony Levin uses.

Autumn - this is the opening of the song, played on a gorgeous Baldwin concert grand piano. Bass content: opening melodic theme played on my custom Hoyt six-string fretless.

Light and Silence - this song features my custom Hoyt six-string fretless, including a brief solo.

Shooting Star - a fun song with unusual time signatures and a spanky bass sound.

The Silent Giants - the initial part of this track features bass power chords in full-on tube saturation/distortion. Then, when the song changes up, it is my "pseudo-synth-bass" - my dbx Subharmonic Synthesizer, with all the highs rolled off on my preamp. It's a kind of a "dub-like" sound, and it will be more prominent in the final mix.

Wrapped in the Arms of Mountains - believe it or not, this bouncy groove was played on a $100 Squier P-Bass. Even with the el-cheapos, nothing sounds quite like a Precision bass. :)

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Can't get the audio to stream very well - backs up every few seconds. Could you make it available for download?

3. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
  4. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
  5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just listened to Abducted. Bass sounds full, keys sound funny '80s, words are trippy. Cool!

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, sweet tunes mark...i'm really diggin' that hoyt fretless

7. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Thanks - I'M really digging that fretless... Oh, you mean how it sounds on the track? My bad!

Thanks for the compliments though. Been a while since anyone poked their head in on this thread.

8. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Mark, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy listening to your band...I really need to order some CDs...I first heard you guys a year or so ago and have been hoping to hear some new stuff...those clips sound great to me!

Do you think you could put some pictures/specs of your funk fingers up somewhere? I would really like to build a pair, but have no idea where to start...

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Here's something fairly rough: