Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clips of the legenday Sunn Sceptre (& my mediocre playing not worthy of my name)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Feb 25, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Here are some clips of my rig & my semidecent playing. EQ settings for amp are Bass: 1 Mid: 10 Treble: 0 See sig for details on rig.

[​IMG]

Won't Get Fooled Again - This was played with the Sceptre volume on 8. It is most of the song, except for the organ breaks. It is somewhat similar to the version on The Kids Are Alright, but played pretty sloppily. The ending is really cool, though.

Roadrunner - My Generation - This was played with the Sceptre volume on 10. Played with a pick, extremely sloppily.

Pinball Wizard - Again played with the Sceptre volume on 10 with a pick. This one was alot of fun to play. Also has some tremolo effects at the end.

Amazing Journey/Sparks - Played with a pick, lots of tremolo effects, not my best recording, however. I tried using a better mic, and it turns out sounding worse! :meh: Oh well, it's a fun tune.

2. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    sounds ok, too muddy and distorted for my taste. I personally go for the fat clean tube sound.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It can do that, but not at the deafening volumes those clips were recorded at. :smug:

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    That sounds wicked!

Who needs clean?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Not my thing, but very cool inits own way. Any chance you can play Anesthesia on it?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    holy john entwistle!!!!

nice tone. very live at leeds. ;)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SCHWEET!!!

Why did Sunn have to sell out to Fender??? :/

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ox, you crack me up..thanks for sparing us the microphonic pickup feedback this time!!!

Sounds good too!

You and your darn tube amp through 2x15 threads... I came face to face with a West Filmore head yesterday and had to resist buying it...

The West was $299 for a 200 watt tube head from the '70s...kind of Fender preamp meets Marshall power amp. Power tubes are 6550s and it sounded fine quiet and clean with me remembering as many Grand Funk Railroad bass lines as I could, I spared the shop owner the dirty, loud and mean part.

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been moved to Recordings yet...

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just listened to those clips again, this time through the sound system.

Now I need one.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I sold that to Sean... bought it here from PatrickJ

Great Head, just not strong enough for me and it didn't like my active basses.

Sean, sounds Killer! You gotta do a recording of your full band for us... You've got me using the dirty channel of my new one way too often :bassist:

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Good stuff, just makes me want to buy my tub Sunn amp even faster...

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, I've got a '72 P-bass now and the pickups aren't microphonic. The neck is killer too. :smug:

13. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Sounds good. I really like the dirty tone with a pick.

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I would not have believed a P bass could sound like that. Darnit. I thought I was finally done buying stuff. How loud would you say that head is? I realize it's subjective, we might disagree on where to draw the line between "really loud" and "somewhat loud" or whatever. I'm wondering if this amp will be loud enough, or if I should look for a higher wattage model, but that might not sound the same. I have no problem running the volume flat out to get that crazy tone... but how loud is "as loud as it gets?"

I'm competing against a hyper 18 year old drummer who hits every drum as hard as he possibly can, and a guitarist running at last count 8-12 12" speakers (he has a seperate amp w/a volume pedal he likes to use to "make his leads stand out" as if the 8 speakers aren't enough). So I need "so loud it can liquefy internal organs." Currently my GBE600 is more than enough, and humorously my old solid state Peavey "PEAVEY BASS" when fully cranked crushes everything with over the top distortion. Not in a good way. But funny.

I know James' Peavey Classic 400 gets awfully loud if you can find cabs that can take it (it was mine) so I'm wondering how much less the Sunn puts out.

BTW I read somewhere here about the differences in parallel/series speaker hookups, I can't keep it all straight but something about the voltage being shared between the cabs when hooked up one way, and the current shared the other way. All the problems I had trying to find cabs for the Peavey when it was mine, I was not using cabs the the calibre of the Schroeders, and also never tried running 2 4 ohm cabs as an 8 ohm load. Kind of kicking myself now, but if I'd kept it I wouldn't have been able to afford buying the amp that I traded to get the Bergantino cabs I have now so I guess it worked out.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I dunno if it could keep up with a full marshall stack, but with a halfstack it keeps up pretty well. With a full stack, if I were you, I'd just get two and use 2 or 4 cabs or just 2 heads & 2 Schroder 310212s (from what I hear that cab gets EXTREMELY loud with very little power). In fact, I wanna get a 200s to go along with the sceptre so I can be even louder!

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ox, I've done a bit of research on the amp, and from what I can tell, every Harmony Central review complains that it's too clean of an amp. How did you get it so gritty?

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Cranked the volume & contour up to 10, bass at 1 or 2, and treble at 0, with the mid boost ON.

Where did you read other reviews, other than Harmony Central?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One was at a dealer site I believe, can't recall where.

19. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's a guitar head, the guitar players don't like the Sunn stuff because it needs to be ragin-full on to get it to break up.

Bass freq suck much more out of the tubes reserves.... I assume.

Fealach, since I sold Sean the sunn, then bought your Peavey I guess I can answer. I needed to be much much cleaner at gig volume to have that head usable. The Sunn has 2x 6550/KT88 and the Peavey has 8x 6550/KT88

I really wanted to do a biamp deal with Sean's tone as my top end and a thick & tight & CLEAN low end.

The Peavey is able to do the Sunns volume with MAJOR clean lows and just a bit of highend bite... so I'm set :bassist: