Clock problem [PC related]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, I recently purchased (well, my parents did) a new computer, a Dell Dimension 9100 (I tried to have one build to our specifications, but my dad didn't want this, and it's his money, so he has the last call) with XP running on it. The problem I have is that the clock on this computer often sets back to Wednesday, 25th of May, 12.00 AM. This causes trouble with anti-virusdatabases and save games of the games we play on it.

Anyone had similar problems, and knows what to do? I can recet the clock in the setup menu, allthough this sometimes crashes when adjusting it.

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    A PC has a small watch-type battery that keeps the clock going even when the machine is shut off. Locate it, replace it, and see if it's still a problem. I know the machine is new, but it may have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for awhile.
  3. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Dude, you got a Dell :bawl: !!!!!

Seriously, call customer support. If they don't fix it, tell them where they can stick their CPUs. And don't get a Dell again.
  4. Yes, do this.
  5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I agree with this as well. I had a user at my job with the exact same issue and changing the battery fixed it.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Upon further review, it looks like you should check into replacing the battery inside the PC. :D

That may mess with your Dell warranty, so I would call them before you crack open the case.

7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That's definitely the battery.

And don't buy a Dell again. They are absolute crap.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Get your PC one of these...

They never fail...
  9. +1 on that
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What good will a police officer do your PC?

11. FYI--It's officially called a complementary metal oxide semiconductor battery. Yay for big words. Most places sell them as CMOS batteries last I checked.

In some pre-built computers they can be a real b***h to get out and replace, but most just have lever or least from my experience.

You should also try running Virus and Spyware (If you need programs, just ask) programs in safe mode; just to be sure. Never hurts.
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    What would he need a mic for? :p

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I agree, the battery is the first check-out.

After that, you can investigate the XP registry, for things like "daylight savings time" madness, sometimes that goes awry.

And finally, in the worst case, you might have an issue with a worm or virus or something, a lot of those things manipulate your clock to do exactly what you're describing.

In the latter case, I'd highly recommend "Hijack This", which is software you can download for free.

Ad-Aware isn't bad either, but it doesn't tell you "everything", and in either case, you need to raise your awareness level of what all that stuff means.

A Dell Dimension is actually a pretty good machine, when it comes right down to it. It's fast, reasonably accurate, and the whole key is understanding the "Windows Registry", and how it works.

Stuff like Ad-Aware and Hijack-This, can be circumvented by registry settings. The Registry it truly a critical piece of the whole machine, probably "the" critical piece.

It's not something that you can learn in a day, but it's well worth spending a month or so to try to understand how it works.

Just a heads-up, and (hopefully) an FYI.

Good luck. :)
  14. Definately call Dell first. If its not the battery, and you try replacing it, then you just voided your warranty for nothing.