1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clockwise or counter for more bow in neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Newget, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I want to put a little more bow in the neck but I forget which way to turn the truss rod, clockwise or counter.

2. righty = tighty
    lefty= loosy

For more bow, you have to loosen it so it is counter-clockwise

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    depends on where the adjustment is, at the head or down at the body?

at head clockwise to flatten, counter to bow
    at body clockwise to bow, counter to flatten

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Depends where you are standing in position to the adjustment nut. I find it always best to think about the direction as you are looking 'into' the adjustment nut (which is the position you should be in when adjusting). That way, it's the same direction for either adjustment nut position, head or body... just like screwing the top on a jar.. clockwise tightens and counterclockwise loosens...

So, facing the adjustment nut, counterclockwise (a little goes a long way) to loosen the rod and hence allow some back bow into the neck.

5. If you are looking at the adjustment bolt along the trussrod, with the allen key facing 12 o'clock, pull the key RIGHT to TIGHTen (clockwise), LEFT to LOOSEn (counter-clockwise).

6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    it totally depends on the trussrod and how it is installed. since you don't mention what bass make/model you have, it is a disservice for anyone to offer you generic, potentially damaging advice without knowing more specific details

the advice given so far is good if you have a Fender style neck. If you don't, this advice has potential for disaster.

the only sure advice I can offer is to:

1) hold down a simultaneously string on the first fret and last fret and measure the distance it is off the 12th fret

2) make a 1/4" turn of the adjustment nut (STOP!!! if you encounter stiff resistance)

3) repeat step 1

4) if the gap is less, you are tightening the nut. if the gap is more, you are loosening the nut

all the best,

R