1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cloning pedals from circuit schematics?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Inspired by my inability to find an original MuTron (and inability to pay for the expensive ones that turn up!) I figure why not just clone it. I found this circuit diagram online that I plan to clone:

MU-TRON%20III%20Auto-Wah.

So, I know some beginner circuits (took an E&M physics class in college), plus I feel like it will be more like following directions/completing a puzzle anyway.

Anyone do this? How difficult is it?

2. Why not buy a clone kit? Fuzzdog does a Mutron circuit and even sells the right VCA's to make it sound right.

Tupac and Grumry like this.
  3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    +1 on the kit. A PCB and knowing what types of caps, pot tapers and other components will be worth the price of admission. If it's a complete kit, you might save some money. If you buy all the components separately, plus bread boarding stuff, board stand offs, soldering stuff, and a good box to use as a pedal, maybe not and might never work. I used to build prototype circuits, more or less complex. I enjoyed the work, but unlikely I would do much without getting paid.

Google DIY pedals. There's a good forum and blogs. Check allelectronics for a good, cheap variable temperature iron + stand. I have good expensive irons, but usually go for the $20 iron because I rarely sit and solder at a bench these days. I might go for on of these next time I order something: TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLED SOLDER STATION 50W If you do need components, they are a pretty good go to if they have what you need (surplus, limited selection). Knobs, switches, a box and bread board they have covered.

Tupac likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It's kind of amazing that that's all that's inside a Mutron III. Then again, I suppose that's why other companies could build envelope-controlled filters into enclosures one-third the size of an original Musitronics!

Incidentally, I've had some work done by CJLectronics, he's one of the good guys when it comes to salvaging your irreplaceable vintage stompboxes.