1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Close Call Today - mind those fingers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kesslari, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I was doing a bit of work on my car this morning. Apparently I didn't have the hood up all the way (hood has hydraulics, not a "stop bar".
    And the hood came crashing down on my fingers. That was not fun at all!
    Of course I was way too far to get to the hood latch. Fortunately my wife was home and heard me holler, came out and was able to unlatch the hood.
    Equally fortunately, none of my fingers were broken. Bruised but unbroken.

Be careful out there.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Whoa! Glad to read you are okay.

That is why I only buy cars where I can remove the hood completely.

Ferrari Hood Removed.jpg

Tbone76 and TOOL460002 like this.
  3. It locked on your fingers. :eek: Hope you will be able to play bass soon.

This is also a lesson for after a car is jacked up, use jack stands before working. Hydraulics can give way at any second and there will not be a warning. Just, SLAM!

Tbone76 likes this.
  4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    A 2x4 would serve as a stop bar. Not as well as a factory stop bar, which can't be easily knocked out of place, but better than nothing. Before there's a next time...

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :wideyed:

Yikes! Do you think you would've been able to free yourself had your wife not been there, heard you, and freed you?

6. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Good point. Everyone should just drive one of these so they don't maybe screw up their fingers. I'll take it. My hands are in peril. One free bad ass car please. Thank you!

Tbone76 and catcauphonic like this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Zoinks :nailbiting: you got pretty lucky, considering that story could have had a more crippling ending!

Caution out there, folks ... poop happens in the blink of an eye :wideyed:

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Hydraulic hood struts lose strength over time and especially in cold weather. I clamp a pair of vise grips on them as a safety.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We were both lucky. My story wasn't as manly. I was goofing off with my kids and fell with all my body weight on the side of my left hand. It's so bruised it looks like I had my hand in a bowl of melted Skittles. But it's not broken either. Hurts like crappie and I probably won't be able to play for a couple more weeks (mine happened last Saturday).

Glad our X-rays turned out negative, right?

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I tried to find a meme of Saul from the jerky boys saying "sue everybody" but I gave up so we'll have to use our imaginations.