Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Close To Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piezoman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Are there any bassmakers that make a tone that is simialair to that of the musicman stingray? Havent played one in a while but I remember it as super-clean and pretty thich sounding.

2. Some will claim that the G&L L-2000 and L-1500 can duplicate the MusicMan. I've owned both a Stingray and an L-2000 at the same time and was able to get close...but not the same. I suck, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mike

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Musicman is one of those companies, like Rickenbacker, who seem to have a unique sounding range of basses. Nothing to me, sounds like either.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cheezewiz is right, a Musicman sounds like a Musicman. I do think, however, that the Ibanez ATK (discontinued) is super close to a Stingray. They pop up, so look around for one.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think G&L can compare in tone, ATK is close though.

6. I was going to suggest the ATK too :)

7. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    L2K does get you close, but honestly it has it's own distinct sound. I think the low end is a lot thicker on the G&L, and it doesn't have the same midrange snarl as the MM. HOWEVER, the L-1500 has a single pickup, in a position more similar to a MM, while the L2K's bridge pickup is positioned more like a Jazz.

[​IMG]