Close To Musicman?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piezoman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Are there any bassmakers that make a tone that is simialair to that of the musicman stingray? Havent played one in a while but I remember it as super-clean and pretty thich sounding.
  2. Some will claim that the G&L L-2000 and L-1500 can duplicate the MusicMan. I've owned both a Stingray and an L-2000 at the same time and was able to get close...but not the same. I suck, so take it with a grain of salt.

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Musicman is one of those companies, like Rickenbacker, who seem to have a unique sounding range of basses. Nothing to me, sounds like either.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cheezewiz is right, a Musicman sounds like a Musicman. I do think, however, that the Ibanez ATK (discontinued) is super close to a Stingray. They pop up, so look around for one.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think G&L can compare in tone, ATK is close though.
  6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    L2K does get you close, but honestly it has it's own distinct sound. I think the low end is a lot thicker on the G&L, and it doesn't have the same midrange snarl as the MM. HOWEVER, the L-1500 has a single pickup, in a position more similar to a MM, while the L2K's bridge pickup is positioned more like a Jazz.