1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CLOSED: clankiest non-stainless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've read at least one TB account of the Cobalts being the brightest & clankiest.

Are my fears of using Stainless unfounded? (excessive fret-wear)
    I had some on for a bit w/o damage to the frets, but they were Elixir coated.

Those things sounded brilliant with a pick, like the lasers in Star Wars, which was actually someone hitting a telephone pole guy wire with a crescent wrench.

Are the Cobalts just as wearing on the frets as SS?

Hadn't heard clank in a while & just did with RotoSound 66 Stainless.
    I like that sound, but I'm stingy about fret-wear.

mikewalker and Ellery like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've heard people say cobalts are harder on frets than roto steels. I never had them on a bass long enough to find out, but they do sound great.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think fear of fret wear and fretless fingerboard wear comes from folks who have never played enough to experience either, i.e., the fear is irrational. i also think that if you can wear down your frets/fingerboard, say in a few years = you need technique lessons.

frets/fingerboards will take years of abuse, let alone productive, normal use, so....

last thing: 'marks' or signs of playing/use on frets and fingerboards are natural, so: just because you see something doesn't mean the sky is falling or that you've failed your instrument.

my advice: lighten up, play, have fun!

4. Nickel-plated steel or Stainless steel?

Local luthier showed me a 6-string bass that a heavy-gigging local player uses, a Sadowsky.
    He uses SS strings & has to get it re-fretted or leveled often.
    Local luthier & the user are dead against SS frets, BTW.

JRA likes this.
  5. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I tried cobalts a few months back and I really didn't like them. They just weren't for me and I didn't notice any additional wear from them. I would go with the Swing 66 Rotos over them.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. So they weren't brighter & clankier than Roto66?

The Chuck likes this.
  7. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Hotter maybe, is how I would put it. Rotos are clankier IMO. I also didn't like the way they felt- strange...
    Rotos are tougher on your finger for sure, but I get used to that.

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I’ve used stainless steel rounds for many many moons and fret wear is minimal.
    I think you’re being irrational

2behead and lz4005 like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I mean stainless steel, which is commonly referred to as steels, and you know that.

10. Stainless implies steel
    Steel does not imply stainless

All electric bass strings are steel, of one alloy or another.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Rotosound stainless steel strings are commonly referred to as roto steels. It's not metallurgically accurate but it's true.

Sixgunn likes this.
  12. Guitar players call their vibrato bridges tremolos, which is also widely accepted yet incorrect.

13. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I've had DR Highbeams on my Jazz for a little while now (2 sets). Like them but going back to the Roto 66. So far I find nothing that compares although the DRs are my 2nd choice. I hope I'm not getting off track.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Which 66s? Killed by death has no idea what you're talking about.

Sixgunn and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  15. Chrome rounds are brighter than stainless. They just don't last as long because they're chrome plated nickel. The chrome wears off. Instead of just being stainless.

16. Thanks for the input, but stop trolling my thread!
    you're infamous for this in the past

The number 66 is more accurate than "steels".

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And we've had this conversation before. You have a problem with what I'm saying than report me. You don't tell me what to do.

And there are nickel plated steel 66s.

18. Who makes those?
    Not seeing them on D'Addario.com.

Done!
    All I'm asking is that people stop pretending like "steel" implies stainless, because all electric bass strings are steel.
    If you have a problem with that, start your own thread to propagate the false term. (& stay out of mine)

Gorn likes this.
  19. You're the one who's overly picky and hair-splitting about being "technically correct" all the time with certain terms.

It's okay to refer to Stainless Steel simply as "Steel" the same way most of us refer to "Nickel-plated Steel" simply as "Nickels" as those terms are commonly understood to mean certain things without being "technically correct".

And it's also okay to refer to the size of strings in "gauges" instead of "diameters" because we all know what we mean by the term.

20. one is correct & the other is not
    it's black & white

I repeat,
    steel does not imply stainless, since all electric bass strings are steel.

Why do you insist on propagating the incorrect usage? (and defending it)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.