Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closed on sundays? What???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 3, 2004.

1. I live at a dorm at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. The campus is beautiful, the people are great, and there are always many events and things to do on campus. It's really amazing for me and I enjoy it very much. Anyhow, today I went out with some of my friends to explore the downtown area of the town, and everything was closed... Apparently the town shuts down on sundays. This is really weird. Why would they do such a thing? I don't like it anyhow, and campus and the collegestudent-tuned part of the town has everything I'd need, but still, why would the towny-area close everything on sunday?

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    People go to church on Sundays. Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays anywhere you go.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's pretty common in small towns.

brad cook

4. Closed on Sundays, and after 10pm on Monday through Saturday.

5. +1

It's not profitable to be open on a Sunday in a small town. In the city it is, 'cos many people work during the week and only have Sunday off for shopping and whatever. And even then, here in Adelaide, the shops are only open from 11-5. If they're even open.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The town I grew up in was so small even the churches closed on Sundays.

brad cook

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    So, when did we all decide sunday was "sabbath" anyways...

From what I can gather... When Catholocism came into play, they didn't want to be too Jewish so they went with sunday instead of saturday?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The town I grew up in was so small, the harware store was also an art gallery.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Will Smith wrote a song about the town I grew up in.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Damn! Ya'll had an art gallery? That's a freakin' metropolis.

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Does it matter?

brad cook

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    When else are they supposed to make the zombies?

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the hardware store owner painted... it was also the video rental store and a bed and breakfast.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's like some kind of paradise...

brad cook

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aye.

(The town had a population of about 100, btw.)

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Well... if God rests on the Seventh day, which is saturday... and people tend to do that till the rise of the roman catholic church... then saturday seems like a great idea to me.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'd be happy to give my opinion of the Catholic church, but not here. I do believe that there is a general ban of religious and political discussion in this part of TalkBass.

18. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Indeed, Sunday means homework, hobbies, and internet forums when you live in a college town. It's a hoot, I stick my head out the dorm door, and look at all the bored people wandering aimlessly, and some strike up conversations with you even if they don't associate with you during the week :D.

19. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Switzerland is closed on Sunday's. Everywhere. Grocery stores, department stores, hardware stores. In Geneva, Zurich, Lucerne. Everywhere.

Also...no lawnmowers or loud power tools on Sundays.

Drives you nuts when you first get here, but you adapt and start to really look forward to Sunday. It's quiet. Sit in the backyard and it's peaceful. Nothing to do but cycle, drive your Porches and Ferrari's through the winding roads, hike in the Alps, etc. You learn to live with it by getting all shopping and yard work done on Saturday.

After three years, I actually prefer it. Sunday is an enforced relaxation day.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    As it should be.