1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CLOSED: What happened to Tal Wilkenfeld?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    First off I am a big fan of Tal's bass playing. She has a great groove style, I love her soloing and the sounds she gets is great. She is of course very pretty as well.

Has anyone heard any 2018 news on Tal? She was suppose to come out with a new CD however it appeared she did not have enough money to record it even though she opened up for The Who. She actually asked her fans on her web page to pay for her studio time so she could record it. Then of course she wanted her fans to then also pay for her CD. I can't imagine many people wanting to do this. Her web site has nothing since 2017. Did she take a break, did she finally met a guy and get serious about other things in her life?

Personally I like her bass playing a lot more than her solo music.

Stumbo likes this.
  2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Is she pretty? Pleasant, harmonious features, but not my type. However, I would agree that Ms. Wilkenfeld is a very accomplished bassist.

Why would her opening for The Who imply that she would then have enough money to record, mix, and master an album?

On the contrary, these days it is quite common for musicians to seek funding from their fans. Indeed I see that Ms. Wilkenfeld's project at PledgeMusic currently has more than 2800 pledgers. If by "many people" you meant, say, a few hundred thousand, then fine. Otherwise, I'd say that nearly 3000 fans investing in her project says that many fans do want to pay for it.

Shortly before the great Allan Holdsworth passed away, I was happy to make a significant pledge to his "Tales from the Vault" campaign at PledgeMusic. We could simply say 'What about PledgeMusic?' to make the point; but consider that musicians are using multiple platforms to crowdfund their projects:

It is common for working musicians who don't have a support organization (manager, publicist, etc.) to be unable to maintain a personal website, or even a Facebook page. I see that Ms. Wilkenfeld posted at Twitter as recently as October 26 and November 4. Tweeting is a relatively easy way for a busy, touring musician to stay in touch with their fans. Look for her news on Twitter.

Ms. Wilkenfeld is around, but she's busy, man. Let's wish her well and let her do her thing. :)

BBassBassington, Haroldo and rllefebv like this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Maybe she's spending all her time here on TB, under an alias ( I personally suspect she is either @Killed_by_Death or, most likely with the hair, @mellowinman :D )

4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    The Who probably made her pay to open for them. :confused:

5. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
  6. CMPANDABASS

CMPANDABASS The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    She has been doing a lot of Comedy in LA and NYC with Jeff Ross

Shanannigan likes this.
  7. she is doing what she always did: trying to achieve success via bass playing and femenine attributes

DWBass likes this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Maybe her 15 minutes of stardom are over. Agreed, she’s an accomplished bassist but nothing special. There are 1000s of bassists just as good. Being female and attractive pushed her ahead of the pack for sure. I’m sure she’s busy as she should be. For me, there are plenty of other bassists I’d rather see play.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Tal did nothing other than play bass and a bunch of dudes took it upon themselves to sexualize her. I'm not a huge Tal fan but nothing she has ever put out made me think that "sexy" was part of her appeal.

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Diabolus got it right. Ms. Wilkenfeld is not responsible for others' impressions of her.

Feminine attributes? What do you expect her to do, wear a burlap sack and diving flippers in performance? She dresses in a tasteful, groovy and understated way, and keeps her hair natural. How that is emblematic of trying to achieve success eludes me.

I call BS on "1000s of bassists just as good". One's preference for or against her playing is not a measure of her demonstrated ability.

Maybe it was all for show, but I assume that for this performance Herbie could have hired anyone and didn't have to look as happy as he did during Ms. Wilkenfeld's solo. It isn't my preferred interpretation by far. But damn if she didn't hold it down:

11. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    I think she’s the real deal on bass. Love her bass playing. Not crazy about some of her original singing and some things I’ve heard. It’s ok but doesn’t grab me. Just my opinion. Everyone has one I know and that’s cool. Wonderful bass playing though.

Guiseppe likes this.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Not saying she's not deserving of all the shots she's gotten but being a female and attractive certainly didn't work against her. And she can certainly play well. I stand by my quote though. Plenty of bassists out there can do what she does. She doesn't do anything special besides being a solid competent bassist, which is a good thing. But there are a lot of those out there.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Jhengsman likes this.
  13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yes, her image did help, just like image also helps males. People who don’t think image helps are living in a dream world because it definitely plays a role...unfortunately.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Who in the entertainment world is getting work without their looks post-MTV? I don't see too many fat, balding dudes in cargo shorts in any stadium or studio shots. They certainly don't have pictures of them to hock Sadowskys.

15. Abe being the exception, but he's a certified badass!

big_abe-laboriel-jr.

Rock Salad, jerry and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  16. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I think drummers in general are the exception. I mean, look at Ringo.

17. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    One of my chief consolations for living in this world is that I never raised children; most of all, that I never raised any girls. If I were a woman in this world, I would just ****ing kill myself. It's that bad.

I pity female humans almost as much as I do animals. And I admire animals more than I do most men.

mod edit: no unmasked profanity.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    Joshua likes this.
  18. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Luke Combs.
    Rappers.. I'm not gonna list all of the less than model material performers out there.
    MTV ? Whatever.

19. What a bizarre thing to say.

gebass6, gln1955, DirtDog and 4 others like this.
  20. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Not really. This is obviously a person who understands. It ain't easy being a woman.

That said, I am one of the people who contributed to Tal's Pledgemusic project, and have been waiting for what seems like years for her latest album to be released. She's run into a few obstacles. I saw her live during the promotional tour for the album, and was duly impressed. Some people don't like her singing, but I thought she did quite well. I'll see her again if she comes back to town.

tal06.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    tom-g, ak56 and Joshua like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.