CLOSED

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rescinding everything I said.

2. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    thats funny because i have a MB 1X15 300W amp and its got some much bass to it I have to actually turn it down. havent gotten the gain or volume past 5 yet...its too damn loud...lol

3. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Perhaps it is you who are not for Markbass?;)

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Ok. I'll say that Crate isn't for me.

Use whatever works for you.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It is what it is. I don't like allot of amp makers but no issues with Markbass at all and I to have to turn back the bottom on mine to. I will say of all the negative I hear the 12" combo gets the most but I think they rock anyhow.

6. I'm not starting anything here! And someone said it better. I'm not for MarkBass instead of the other way around.

There was lots of "bass" but it did not seem solid sounding to me. When the other player played it sounded OK, not my thing, but I would def not go that way.

It's not what bass "MEANS" to "ME".

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You should know by now; No one is allowed to talk against MarkBass? Maybe it is a mafia thing? I'm not sure. :bag:

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The part where you say your bass was "burying it" suggests that you didn't have the gain on the amp set properly, which certainly isn't an amp problem and is a user problem.

People do jump on, and not every tone is for every person... Part of the markbass problems is the lack of understanding of some of the controls and filters.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My Markbass rig sounded great last night. The only problem I had was when we got too loud and I ran out of headroom. We turned back down and all was fine. Great tone, I must say. The main control I used was the VLE turned to noon or 2:00. Didn't need anything else. 300w and a 115.

10. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    People attack any opinion on TB, especially when they're a fan of the "target" that someone is bagging on.
    MB is my least-favorite amp of all those I tried; I can definitely see where they would sound great for jazz, though. Also, I have only played thru them in a music store, sitting 3 feet away from the cab. It would be interesting to hear the sound from "audience level".
    Are there any metal bassists out there that play thru a MB?

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I agree. Thats why I said what I said. There are a lot of amps out there and a lot of them only work for certain people. So use what you like.

There many amp I've tried and disliked. But I just don't feel compelled to tell everyone.

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    LMAO at people disagreeing with the OP.
    "Markbass is not for me..." responded by "Noooooo you are doing it wrong!!".

If he doesn't like the sound that's a very subjective issue IMO.

13. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    You can like or dislike MarkBass tonally, but there is no denying the fantastic marketing job that Bain did in "hooking" the public and establishing the (IMO) at best mediocre quality MB as a premium brand in the minds of a whole bunch of buyers.

No offense to the aficionados, but I thought MarkBass's "15 minutes" was pretty much over; apparently not... :D

14. I should have known this when I posted. I guess you have to tippy-toe here.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Bain doesn't own or manage Markbass. :confused:

Bain does own and run GC which is the American retailer that carries Markbass. They also happen to own the Acoustic name and manufacture it. What impetus do they have to push Markbass, given they could do the same with Acoustic and make money at both the production and the sales ends of things.

Markbass is Italian owned and operated.

16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

MarkBass exclusive to Bain's Corporate interest. Acoustic budget line offering, MarkBass top drawer offering. Upper and lower end offerings and they don't have to touch anyone that handles a soldering iron?

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    In the end they're just the retailer though. They don't hold any part of Markbass besides a contract for US distribution.

I don't really care if people like or don't like the sound of Markbass...similar to how I feel about Mesa or Ampeg. I've had them, used them and moved on. But for everyone to write it off as a Bain conspiracy is silly.

To the same point that its silly to say their 15 minutes of fame are over...I guess like SWR, Hartke, GK, etc. ;)

Anyone who says their bass 'buries' an amp has gain staging problems whether its a Markbass or an Ampeg or a Phil Jones. It has nothing to do with the quality of the build or the quality of the sound.

18. FWIW, I just came up and plugged in to the amp. I had to put my glasses on to find the volume knob. I didn't want to fool with HIS settings, so I just used one knob= 3 songs, Courtesy.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I too dislike markbass.
    Each to their own :)

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Same reason you can still buy Ampeg and GK at GC...money. BTW, GC went public again.

I like the LMIII...it only does clean, but it's got a nice sound to it. But I never quite got along with their upper mid-heavy cabs that have a big response hole between the woofers and tweeter, and the nightmare of getting my 121p combo repaired under warranty and some of the board replacement price quotes I've seen have turned me right off Markbass...sorry.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.