Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closeout? Rumblefishes at MF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Feb 22, 2002.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

bass specials at MF

Someone please buy the white/gold and bugeye black chrome (so cool!) ones so they won't tempt me any more. If I'd had my "MF platinum card" with me this morning I'd have gotten one. But I don't want to be in debt to them for the next six months.

2. :eek:

$500?????

sweet superconducting electroplated baby jesus, that is an AWESOME price! somebody here had better buy one!

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Just curious, anyone know how the B's are on the 5?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I find it nice and clear on mine. The overall tone is vintage passive, though...it's not a slapper's delight.

5. They have a 35" scale, so that should help the B. There's a good review of the Brad Houser 5 in this month's Bass Player as well. I really enjoyed the Rumblefish 4 I played, but I can't even afford $500 right now.:(

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Looks like they get positive reviews across the board. I've never played one, but I'm curious.

If they are good, the 5 has a nice price, the 4 too.

That phenolic top I read about sounds kinda weird though. Sounds like it's a partial hollow body with a mahogany wood block beneath a hard countertop finish?

I'm not pickin on it, I just never handled this kind of body construction before, so I wonder what it's like. Looks like the body is not contoured, anyone find that uncomfortable?

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Nevermind, I thought better of it. I'm sure they are nice and all, then I just remembered I already have a passive 5 with a nice B (Kingston).

On second thought, I think what I would really like to score is a used Czech Spector 5 in good condition. :)

Thanks for the replies though everyone. Hopefully someone will jump on these deals before they're all gone.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    must...resist...temptation!
    Get thee behind me, Craig!

9. that's exactly what it feels like, textured countertop material. it's really cool, and it doesn't pick up ugly fingerprints. (i have not, however, tried any of the metal finishes, so i don't know what they're like.)

the body isn't contoured, and it might be uncomfortable on your arm if you play heavily with a pick all the time. but i only use a pick for one song with my band, and i feel no discomfort during it. if you're playing fingerstyle, there's absolutely no discomfort.

10. Now I have to have one! Thanks a lot Craig!:mad:

;)

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    As a devout Reverend fan and player, I URGE those with the cash who have been considering one of these to jump on this deal! You won't be dissappointed!

p.s. Get the white one...

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, when I saw this post, it was giving me gas pains. I haven't read a single bad thing about these basses, so I'm definitely a believer.

I guess I'll stick with that passive K5 for now, but man, I was at the checkout ready to put my credit card # in!

Thanks for the info dhc.

13. Damn, I've been looking at the Rumblefish lately. Sadly, I don't have the money. And the Rumblefish isn't high on my GAS list right now. Maybe one day.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I think these basses are cool!! As was mentioned, they do have that vintage passive kinda sound, but the 4 I played had more growl than my Jazz. Nice and lightweight. I don't know about the chrome and metal tops, though. I like the countertop kinda stuff, but it can crack kinda easy in areas with really high humidity (Mobile, Al). If I had the 500 and no plans for a Warwick, I'd be all about that!

15. Okay, I ordered a Rumblefish 4-string! I was going to order the white one, but they only had the turquoise one left, so I ordered it because I can't beat it for the price. Please don't make fun of me.:oops:

:D

16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

That's because you didn't get to it before I got home to my MF card. I don't need it but I've wanted one for quite a while (Dave Siff is one of the many contributors to my GAS for one) and this closeout was too much to resist. I did resist the "cool" factor of the black bugeye for the cheaper, more universal usability of the white/gold.

I shouldn't look at these things.

17. Oh well, now we can be Reverend buddies!;)

18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Way to go guys! Until the basses arrive, practice saying "Let's get ready to RRRUUMMMBLE!!!!":D

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Craig, there goes the no New basses pledge...an in Febusary no less...

20. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Actually it went in January

Don't ask. I've moved into the "acceptance" phase.

I must have been in "denial" then.