Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closeout Yamaha RBX-760As at Sam Ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jun 14, 2003.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

This is probably old news but it looks like the advent of the 774 and 775 have obsoleted the 760A (and probably 765 but they don't have any of those listed). I'd prefer the 760 anyway because it's 34" scale where the new 774 is 35". My biggest risk is that the neck will be too wide for me (I couldn't find a spec on it anywhere - other than comments on how "fast" it was).

Original list of $749 now selling for $279 (63% discount) with free ground shipping. 6 red ones and an unspecified quantity of green ones left. There were 7 red ones left when I found them :D

My research here showed the RBX76x getting good press. And I'd been wanting a a 2HB bass.

I love closeouts, although I don't think this one is quite as sweet as the Dearmond closeout from last year (I bought a couple of those at different times and actually made a couple of bucks when I turned them over later).

2. I've got a 760A (green), the neck is about the width of a Jazz. Very nice feeling for me, I like skinny necks.

For $279 this is a heckuva deal. I paid maybe $450 or so when I bought mine, 6 or so years ago.

I think my local store had a 765 a few weeks ago, I figured it musta been used cause the price was pretty low, don't remember what it was.
    But to me the 765 has a wide neck, I prefer skinnier.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My local Sam Ash had a perfect green RBX765A for $319.98 on Friday. Ironically, as soon as I left the store, they didn't have it any longer;)

The receipt claimed a List price of $849 and last fall when GC was selling them for $400 the guy told me that their regular price was about $600. Quite a bass for under $350 with tax...beautiful ash top with matching veneer on the headstock, gold hardware, nice flamed maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, preamp with two band eq, 24 frets, etc. Yummy!!!!

4. craigb

I hope the neck is pretty much jazz-sized as that's what I need to be comfortable these days. If not I'll probably test their return policy.

I just didn't see anything not to like about it. Alder body (my preference) with ash veneer to make it look good under the translucent finish. I would have probably gone with blue if any had been available but red looks good too. I'm not a big fan of gold hardware but I'm sure it looks good. I was idly looking at used Peavey Axcelerators and Foundations on ebay (and new Schecter Stilletos) and this seems to be about the same price and it's brand new. Right now it's slated to be my "back up" but if I like it a lot it may move up to #1 solid body. Either way it seemed like a very good value at that price.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You might want to check local Guitar Centers or Musician's Friend. Perhaps they have a blue one and I know that either will match the price.

Good luck!!!!

6. craigb

It arrived yesterday and the nut measures out at 1-9/16" (so just over jazz bass width which is 1-1/2" in my book). It seems narrow and shallow enough that I'm not going to have any problems with the neck size. It looks good, feels good and sounds pretty good too. It will have no trouble filling it's role as the designated backup bass for me.

[​IMG]

I like the red :D

7. craigb

And if $279 is too rich for your blood, how about a lightly used one on ebay for a $149 BIN? seems like a good deal

8. Now doesn't that look nice?

I've played 760s, 760As and a 765A - all very nice basses. Good tone, lots of growl and 24 frets! The neck, IIRC has a slightly flatter profile than a typcal Fender neck; the BB series were closer to the Fender profile. About a year ago I think the going rate was about $579 at MF and Sam Ash.

You got a super deal there, GraigB.

Good luck with it.

Mike