Closest match for MM sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've got a little custom project on the go at the moment, I've just got myself a Status 5-string fretless Musicman neck, and I'm getting a body built to go with it. (MM 5-string shape, but with a quilt maple top and no scratchplate). I'm going for a fretless 5-string that also has a wicked slap sound. The MM5 is the nearest I've found to date, but there's things about it I don't like, so I'm gonna do it my way... :D

Now, I want to get hold of a pickup for the bass, knowing that original MM 5-string pickups and circuits are pretty hard to find, I need to find the nearest possible match for one - I would guess the Seymour Duncan system, but what does everyone else think?

Russ :bassist:
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the Seymour Duncan is good - I used it in a 4 string Ray. I haven't tried the 5 string version.

SD only make the 5 string version without 'ears', Bartolini make MM5 pups with or without ears - something important to remember when having your body routed.

Part of the reason for less response is that there's been lots of discussion on this in the past, if you do a search you'll find lots of info and opinions.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Status neck?

You wont get nearly the same sound no matter what pickup you use. Not a bad sound, just not the same one.
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    No disrespect, but I've been here a while and know how to search. And I haven't found what I've needed, so I've asked. There's been discussion on the topic, but the information I need wasn't forthcoming.

But thanks for the SD tip... :)

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I know it's going to be a case of getting an approximate match, not an exact one. However, I have tried graphite necked Stingrays in the past (the 20th Anniversary one, that actually uses a Status neck, and the old Cutlass) and although it was a somewhat different sound, the Stingray character remained intact, so I reckon I'd like to go for that.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    the Duncan Alnico version will take you closer to the trademark StingRay tone than the Barts.

My main three basses (2 Laklands and one MM) have the alnico Duncan MM pickup.

keep groooovin'
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For What It's Worth:

I've had a Bart MMC, MME, and Duncan SMB-4d. I've got a Carvin Alnico on the way. I haven't had an original stingray but I have an original Sterling triple coil and none of aforementioned sound close to it. Personally, I'd put one of the others in till I could latch to an original, depending on your taste.

The Carvin Alnico 5 arrived and ran it series only, compared to the Sterling triple coil in series, the Carvin is pretty close but with lower output. I had a bass with the Sterling in it and played them side by side. Maybe there's something to the Alnico thing.