1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Closing chapters of your life (locations you won't be returning to)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Oct 4, 2009.

1. I recently attended a funeral in Battle Creek, Michigan for a relative (no condolences necessary, she was 92). While I haven't been there in a few years, I spent a lot of time there as a child. It dawned on me on the flight home that, with the death of this person, I will likely never have a reason to be in that city again (short of a Kellogg factory tour!!). I can't think of another city that played a large part in my life that I won't be going back to except this one. Weird. Anyone else?

Mike

2. Gordonsville, Va. I'll still have to drive through it to get to other places, but it will hold no other Place than that.

3. should be a good thread..
    i've not had the chance to move around and i'm still young, but there are places within my home city that i won't be going back to, some places i've yet to properly let go of...

My gran died earlier this year and this caused me a lot of grief, we sold the house in August, just seems weird I'll never be in that house again!

My ex of almost 4 years... I'll never be in her room again..

Annnnd the one that's really nipping at me today is our band room. We disbanded a few months ago, and the warehouse where we jammed/stored the gear is being sold, so i went down today to clear out the rest of my gear... Just felt strange. :crying:

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Anaheim. Never. Again.

5. I should also say Norther Virginia.

my grandmother was the only reason we went up there. After she died, the family kinda broke apart ( my mom's brother and sister don't get along). I'm the only one who goes up there, and this past weekend wasn't any fun (being 21 around 15 year old kids is just plain stupid). Plus all kinda of stuff has changed...:meh:

6. Eastport, Maine. As it is the town my recent ex lives in and I have no other reason to go there.

7. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't get that with locations so much as periods of my life. However, one of my homes is in it's 6th month of foreclosure (something I let go willingly, just not worth it to hang onto anymore) and I spent the last 6 years of my life there. I spent most of my time hating the old house and the effort it took me to stay in it (it was fixer-upper gone horribly wrong.. paid too much, more problems then met the eye, etc). But I am sure when I walk about the door for the last time, it will be hard to ignore the impact it had on my life and that I will be closing the door (literally and figuratively) on a part of my life as well.

It's still doesn't change the fact that sometimes it's good and appropriate to say goodbye to periods, places, and people in our lives.

8. I guess you don't pay an annual pilgrimage to Jason Newsted's birthplace then?

9. RTO

RTO

Jan 31, 2009
    SW Ontario Canada
    St.Thomas ON. Dying city. Main industry was all auto, Good thing that went well and now nearly everyone is out of a job.

On the plus side, We have a statue of our a mascot, Jumbo the elephant, Who was run over by a train during the circus.

I don't think I'll ever come back here. Theres nothing here for anyone. I'm fairly sure this town has the highest unemployment rate per capita in all of Ontario, Or Even Canada. I got fired from my job as a machinist so a ex-ford, now layed off highschool dropout can support his family. Yep, Real inspiring.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know that feeling well. A dear aunt of mine died last November, and now I have no reason to go to Cleveland anymore although I spent a great deal of time there (I even lived there for a while) as a kid and young man. I also have relatively little reason to go to Alabama anymore although both sides of my family are from there since all but one of my aunts and uncles are now deceased.

I feel sort of like a bit of me has died now since I have no immediate connections to these places anymore.

11. Most of them. When I leave I leave.

12. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Looks like I wont be coming back to California, for a very long time, hopefully for good. I'm glad to leave this place behind me though.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Russia. (St. Petersburg, Moscow, Rostov)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course, if you've been in Sacramento.

15. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    And S.F, and L.A, and Camp Pendleton and 29 stumps.....
    Ive clearly had more than a healthy serving of California sunshine.

16. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Nebraska. England.

17. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    My home town peterborough ont.

I grew up there, was born there.

my family moved out of the town, all my friends and there families have moved out of it. I have not been back to it in years. nothing for me there now.

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I will probably never return to the town I grew up in, since my mom left 3 years ago.

19. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Gaithersburg, MD

What little good there was when I lived there back in the late 70's has surely been mangled beyond recognition by Toll Brothers at this point. Monkey Village is nothing more than a huge spreading cancer on the landscape and the disease is both relentless and incurable

I would imagine Washington Grove hasn't changed significantly, but all of my old friends from there are long gone by now

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Interesting. I've lived in a number of places in California too (Sacramento, Berkeley, Oakland, SF, Healdsburg, Long Beach, La Jolla, Davis, Chico) and it's reinforced to me that this is where I belong. And in Sacramento no less.

Back on topic, Omaha, Sparks (Nevada) and Libby (Montana) are places I only ever spent time in because we had family there. No reason to go back now. And years ago I thought I was in love with a girl enough to relocate to Indianapolis with her. Two months and a wasted summer vacation later and I was back teaching at the same high school in California again.