Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closing the Tab Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Blackbird, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A couple of threads have popped up in OT about how certain Copyright organizations micht start cracking down on internet sites that provide free lyrics, songs and the like.

Apparently, this applies to tablature as well, which means that TalkBass itself could be... inconvenienced.

Here are the threads, merged in Miscellaneous. Some links have been provided, althout I have not checked them yet myself.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217457

Just got wind of this, but I think it's a good idea to pass it on and talk about it.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, it looks like Bruce might finally get his wish. :D

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I never saw the point of it - it just holds out an inevitably unfulfilled 'promise'...:meh:

So basically, nobody is going to Tab out something for you "on demand" - and IMO you'd be better off if they didn't - but you might as well replace the forum with a sticky that says : if you're looking for Tab, just put the details plus "TAB" in Google!! ;)

4. I reckon changing the tab forum to 'transcription', which I think fits better with talkbass anyway, what do you guys think?

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I still think the Tabs such as the one's on TB may slip through a loop hole. They are not directly copied, they are interpetaions.
    The Kereoke Companies get around it by changing one line for a few notes.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Paul has already said a few times that this was a no-no, due to copyright laws!

7. Not full transcriptions, just a place where people could go to get help transcribing something, you know: This guys playing a bassline over a 4/4 song in the key of g minor, and is using a lot of fills, what are some likely note choices? that sort of thing. Is that illegal?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People could use General Instruction or Miscellaneous for that.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Maybe if we get rid of tabs, inner ears will get better.