Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closing your own thread

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by moley, Jan 17, 2003.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    As I understand it, only mods can close threads. I just thought maybe it'd be useful if members could have the ability to close their own threads? Obviously you could only close threads that you started. I don't know if that's possible...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just delete the first post - that'll do it!! ;)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, but that's not quite the same, that just deletes the whole thread. I mean closing it, not eradicating it completely. And that means the thread is preserved, and also you have the option of reopening it.

4. Bruce Lindfield

I think this is a bad idea - it promotes the notion that the first poster somehow "owns" the thread, which is quite clearly not the case.

I think the only people who should be allowed this kind of privilege are administrator and mods - it is only Paul and whoever he nominates, who actually "own" the space.

Secondly I think it is open to abuse - so somebody can post something controversial or misleading, then lock it so nobody can reply and correct the false impression given - they can go round doing this multiple times, creating the impression that nobody disagrees, when they just haven't been given the chance!

It would be like a "field day" for Trolls!! :rolleyes:

I think it is quite sufficient that thread starters can delete their opening post and thus get rid of the thread from view causing no aggravation - this is all they should be allowed to do!

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I agree with Bruce on this one. Not least, I think it would be a further disincentive for people to contribute to existing threads rather than starting new ones over which they would have the power of veto. In addition, even for those who do search the archives before asking a question, it would mean that a lot of the results would be locked threads, thereby preventing tagging on requests for clarification on the points previously made.

Wulf

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    HEY !!!

aren't we going to argue about a composition forum ??

Darn
    ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

That's a good point, I also think that the only reason to close a thread really, is if it gets out of hand and the moderator thinks it would serve as good example of what not to do. I think the only person who should make this kind of "judgement call" is a moderator.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You could send a PM to the forum mod asking them to close it.