Cloth grill cover to Metal grill cover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, May 22, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I curious to know if any one has ever swapped/converted the cloth covering on their speaker cab for a metal grill covering? I ask because I'm the type of idiot the prefers to actually see the speakers behind the covering ... and don't try and tell me I'm the only one, Ha!!

2. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Should be pretty easy to do. I think parts express might sell metal grill covers. just search the net.

Depending on how your cab is constructed, and your current grill cloth is attached it might be an easy swap, or you might have to make some modifications. Most likely your grill cloth is wrapped around a wooden frame, so if you took that of, your metal grill would go into the cab too far, and be too close to the speakers. You can use stand-offs to fix this and get the distance you need.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I use rubber feet ($0.50 each or so) for this. The grill can be a flat piece this way. Depending on your particular cab and off-the-shelf sizes, some grills come with bent standoffs around the perimeter.

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    This sounds very do-able, even for a guy like me; I mean heck, it's far from "Rocket Science" right? "Wax on, Wax off" Ha!! Thanks Guys. ... Now to ponder whether or not I wanna "deface" a brand new cabinet that way, HA!!

5. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    If you do it right, you should be able to switch right back to the cloth grill with no problem at all. ...If you decide you want to sell the cab down the road or just change your mind.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Riiiight!! Now your talkin'! I hadn't even thought of THAT! Thanks Dude, ... this just keeps gettin' better! BTW, the cab(s) that I have in mind are the Fender Bassman 1x15 neo cabs.; it's not definite though, but likely.

7. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth