Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cloth Grille Cover Design?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Razor, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anyone have a line on finding someone who has painted a custom design on a cloth grill cover?
    It would be a very intricate design on say, an SVT 8x10 grille cover. If anyone has a lead or two on this send em' my way.
    Much appreciated.

2. I've done a few. What you have in mind?

(I build speaker boxxes for a hobby)

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 cab in a roadready cab (metal grille) and I am going to see how involved it would be to remove the metal grille and have it retro'd with a cloth grille. If that doesn't work then I will probably just grab an Ampeg fridge and use it's cloth grille.
    I'm thinking of a design that's pretty intricate...was thinking about a design, much like a painting...dunno if it's the one I want but I do like the cover of Pink FLoyd's Wish You Were Here album with the two men shaking hands....again, not sure if that's what I will go with but it will be something different. How involved a process is it to paint a design onto a cloth grille?

4. I'd guess it involves removing the cloth grille, especially if you're using spray paint. I dunno if there's a better way, I guess Mon will chime in.

I will say that a cloth grille design, done right, will look good. But some things are just better left plain. Make sure to get something real nice before you paint it on.

5. Combination of stencils purpose made to block in the major sections of the picture, then touchups by hand or whatnot.

The real trick is any time you do this, you have to go in with the knowledge that for the most part your grille cloth is vinyl based. Paint doesn't readily stick to it, you cannot treat it with anything that will solve that because you'll melt the weave... so you have to use either special paints that etch and cling, or you have to use a different medium for cloth.

If you use special paint, it gets a bit costly, and you still have to handle with care.

If you use special or plain different cloth, you have to contend with the fact the material you're using won't be acoustically transparent, will load paint that will make it moreso, and it will affect your tone. Nothing that can't be compensated for, but....

The majority of things I've done haven't been too intensive as far as little details, because they get lost on the audience. I usually just bring it to a point where the design is coherent and attractive...

The way your cab is made with a metal grille is prolly much different than the way a traditional wood / cloth grille installs in a similar cab. Without seeing the design of yours, it's hard to say. Post some pics. If it's possible and you're interested, I'd be happy to do the work you have in mind.

For a little background, I have a side business where I make 100% custom cabs. I do custom grilles too, including artwork. I have no "models" in my line. Each is a one of a kind based on the customer wants. I also restore cabs. You want a 2 x 12 that looks like a 30's radio? No problem. Gimmie a holler if and when you're ready.