1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clover Argo 5 fretless vs. Carvin SB5000 fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by randy clere, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Greetings!
    I just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys thought in comparing these two instruments... I am leaning toward the Clover, however, I just wanted some input from you all. I currently have and LEJ5 that I LOVE, just wanting something a little different . thanks guys!
    :cool:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Clover will be much more expensive, I think. Right?

I say Clover, mainly because they dont pop up too often.

3. I am getting a great deal on the Clover... The Carvin's however, intrigue me, in that I have heard a lot of favorable comments about them, & I like their look... the money is not a problem... thanks for your reply!

4. i always get a lil gassy when i see a clover.

5. PasdaBeer, your Dolan is a fine looking instrument!!!

6. thank you : )

the other thing with carvins.....theres tons on the used market. Clovers are hard to come by, look killer, and from what ive seen/herd they make a very nice bass.

And cmon, those delanos are freakin cool.

7. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Now this is coming from somebody who owns a Clover but is currently in the middle of a trade...
    I was trying to get a 4 string version of my XP15.6 but could not find one. They are incredible basses, I highly, highly recommend them. Those Carvins are supposed to be great basses as well, but they are not 24 frets, they do not have a 20" radius on the fingerboard and ... you can always get a Carvin. I have never played the Carvin SB series so keep that in mind, I can only tell you why I would go for the Clover.

The Argo you're looking at has the same preamp as my XP15.6 and they are versatile and authentic, you can get a whole range of sounds from them and they all sound GOOD. I was gigging and practicing with that bass primarily which is the only reason I had to trade it, my wrist was killing me. If any 4 string Clover would have shown up I would have traded straight across no questions asked. I have another bass coming that I know will not be able to do what the Clover did, but it will do what I want it to do and it's a 4 string.

I put Clover in the same realm as Sadowsky, Nordstrand, F-bass etc. There might still be some soundclips in my link below from my ad in the For Sale section. I was really considering starting a thread about that bass in particular but figured I'd do it once it was traded so it didn't seem like a sales pitch :bassist:

8. Thanks, gentlemen, I am going to stay with the Clover! I appreciate your time!!!

Dig.... and be Dug!!

Randy

9. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Don't know if got your bass yet or not, but this weekend I heard a bassist using a Clover bass. It the one with a Delano Hybrid pickup in the bridge position . . . the Apeiron H.5 Edition, I think.

I now have terrible gas . . . ready to sell every bass I have to get one . . . most incredible sounding bass this guy has ever heard!