Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd like to find some information on Clover basses... company info, models, pictures, etc.

Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I smell a bargain in the works!:)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i know that clover is a german builder and they're a part of the luthiers access group. i've been having puter prollems, so i know longer have their web addy...here's a pic of a clover avenger....5 string fretless. i've never played one, so i can't really give you a whole lot more info. good looking bass though, i think...
    [​IMG]

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Luthier's Access Group has no info.

Em-B, you know me too well :D

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
  6. embellisher

Brad, that Bass-Tard 5 looks sweet!

You ever seen anything like that?;)

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Robert, that's what I was looking for. I had updated my LAG link to the new, improved, no-info page.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. embellisher

Hey Brad, that picure looks like it was taken in your house!

:D

How does it compare to the Zon and the Lakland?

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's my in-depth review based on owning the bass for a little more than a day;)

I restrung it with Ken Smith Nickel roundwounds. Set the string height, intonation, pickup height and did a basis checkout of the bass.

Control cavity: separate battery compartment, no-tools covers, excellent shielding and layout. Bartolini TCT preamp. Bartolini soapbars, Volume, Pan, Bass, Mid and Treble controls. Active/passive toggle.

The bridge is "interesting". It's a Clover design and has floating saddles that are secured by allen screws from the side once they are set. Bottom line: it works but without a long Allen wrench it could be annoying. Then again, how often would it need adjustment?

The body is two pieces of flamed Maple.

The neck is composite and the fabric is visible from the back. It’s pretty flat. It has a very nice feel, not cold, not slick. ¾" right hand spacing, wide spacing at the nut. 35" scale with 25 frets (which is better…it’s one more, right?).

The wide spacing was an issue the owner had a problem with. I don’t, I actually prefer it. The bass has an extremely solid sound to it, what I’d consider studio quality but not hi-fi. Huge, solid, open B, easily amongst the best I’ve heard. Easily gets the recorded Tom Barney/Steely Dan tone…without processing. Solo the bridge pickup and it has the punchy Jaco-esque sound nailed. Pan-pot in the middle or on bridge pickup gives excellent slap sounds.

When I got it, harmonics easily jumped out in bridge solo'd mode but not panned in the middle. That was easily fixed by adjusting the pickup heights. They ring in the middle now.

Is it perfect? No, but the possible negatives are few and minor:

It’s almost on the heavy side as far as weight. Not an issue for me, I have excellent straps.

The active (set flat) and passive modes have the same output. Not really a problem, I just use the passive input on my amp.

The pan-pot seems to work more like an on/off switch. Move it off center and it sounds like it’s full bridge or full neck sound. The volume control seems less like an audio taper than a linear pot. I normally play with the volume full on so that’s not a problem either. The pots seems to be an interesting choice.

The floating saddles are "interesting" but they work.

Overall this is a great bass, more than likely a keeper. I’ll reserve judgment until I see how it gigs but I think this may replace one of my main basses;)

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    brad!

where'd you snag the clover?!?

nice bass and graphite...whoop!

i can imagine it being on the heavy side with the maple bod.

any workmanship issues?

fred

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    That thing is suuweet!!!

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    fred, I was just hanging around, minding my own business when... ;)

I stopped by Atomic Music Saturday morning after going to a pawnshop to check out an MTD 535 (beat, for $2k:eek: ).

I overheard someone ask if anyone had heard of Clover before, I said sure, German company, etc. He was trying to move the Clover and a guitar. I asked if I could check it out and tried it through a WM15 and it sounded nice. Another bassist checked it out, asks what he wanted for it. He says $1500 to $2000. I know Clovers and figure $1500...cool. I said I'd take it. I think it surprised him. He asked if I was serious:D
    He agreed to sell it for $1500.

Seeing that the other bassist was very interested, I told the first guy that he could get it if he wanted. He had a one bass at a time thing going on so he declined. He really liked this bass. I also gave the seller the opportunity not to sell it to me if he really didn't want to, basically telling him he could back out if he had some remorse, no harm, no foul. I know I've offered gear for less than I should have before and felt kind of silly afterwards, I figure if we did anything, we both should be happy about it.

Brought it home, set it up for me and it's damned nice. I had only seen pictures of these before. I'm very happy with it.

Other than the pot selection (admittedly a personal problem on my part) the workmanship is flawless. Copper shielding throughout, including the snap on cover, excellent woodwork, the neck seems flawless, great fretwork, top notch HW... no real complaints here. The neck joint is rock solid and I really don't expect the neck itself to move. No extraneous noises. The active sound is not boosted when flat and you're basically tweaking the passive sound with the EQ.

This bass fell in the no-brainer category for me. I was willing to let the other guy get it because I figured he'd be extremely happy with it, too but if he didn't it was mine. Almost like the way I felt when I first played my Zon. Almost. I was thinking about moving a couple of the basses I'm kind of happy with, this will move that process along, if it sounds as good as I think it will in the mix.

Strangely enough, I'd probably describe this as being an easily-slappable Super Pbass/J bass with a Jaco vibe at the turn of a knob. It is amazingly deep, punchy and clear. The B makes me grin.

Ask a simple question...;)

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Finally took the Clover Bass-Tard 5 out on a gig. Ran it into my AMP BH-420 amp and Eden D210XLT cab. Also took a Zon fretless.

Used it in a medium sized room in a band with bass, drums, guitar, keys (monster fill-in keyboard player;)), 3 horns, 3 vocalists. Corporate gig (new year kickoff party), various styles of music. Minimal bass in PA mix. Paid for my AMP with this gig:D

It sounded, in a word, amazing. Very big but tight, carved out space in the mix very easily. Played it mainly fingerstyle but when I did slap that sounded excellent, too. String to string response was great, chords and doublestops really jumped out. Didn't really notice the 35" scale + slightly wider than wide spacing until I played the chorus to "Shining Star" with the double-stops. The low B string almost sounded too good :D The combination of these basses and this rig is ridiculous live.

It's a definite keeper. Anybody want a Lakland?;)

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Clover are soon launching their own website at http://www.clover.de - unfortunately it seems that it's gonna be in German only :(

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's okay, there are several translators available.

or:
    Das ist okay, dort sind einige vorhandene Übersetzer

17. I played 2 Clover basses last year. While on a business trip to Chicago, I stopped by the Luthiers Access Group - which is actually the bassment of Dan Lenard's house. I thought they were excellent basses with great tone.

Dan was a great host. I got to play several Jerzy Drozds, a couple of Marleauxs (sp), a Ritter (odd!), a Ken Lawrence Brace 5 fretless that sounded awesome and several others that I can't recall all through Glockenklang amps and speakers. It was like Christmas!

Congrats on your new bass. Keep us updated!

Jeff

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Jeff.