1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, May 10, 2007.

1. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Is the REF 210 Just crushing? I really like the HDN210 but like the HG’s way better. Have you compared REF 210 and HDN210?
    And I hear you about ceramic...but I crave lightweight!!!

2. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    IMG_6906.JPG IMG_6997.JPG IMG_6900.JPG fullsizeoutput_fe7. fullsizeoutput_e0d. Berg options.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    dood, zon6c-f, ccbass71 and 14 others like this.
  3. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
  4. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    The B-Amp + HD112/210 is a great portable rig, with the DB751 + HD210(2) perfect if you want to scare guitarists.

dood, tree_trunker, dmccombe7 and 2 others like this.
  5. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Thanks! Glad you like it!
    Man, that is an impressive pic; just remember to be careful around small dogs. And don't turn it up too much past midnight - I have to get some sleep here.

6. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I have actually gotten past the liking ceramic drivers versus neo. I now prefer neos.
    BUT, I have to say the REF 210 has a "thing" working for it and one aspect of the "thing" is the horn. It is the same horn used in the HG series that I know you love. A very nice high end driver and my favorite of all the horn based cabs in my showroom. It's funny, I was checking out the REF 210 just yesterday and had great fun doing so.

Tom P and gkbass13 like this.
  7. tree_trunker

tree_trunker

Mar 17, 2017
    Texas
    Wow! Wow! Wow! I am so GASing right now!

dood likes this.
  8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    The HG 3x10 and Reference 2x10 are the two cans I’d like t try the list right now. I love my CN 12’s, but am curious and a tad GASy. I could always seek out a CN 2x10 to satisfy the Jones for 10’s, but Jim’s new cabs are always something to behold.

Any further comments on the 2 that share the new horn? Would love to hear more about how they handle a low b and project different styles of playing.

Grady

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The tweeters in the Ref cabs look like the ones used way back on the HT cabs. Do you happen to know if they are similar in any way?

10. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Well...these comparisons can be subjective to a certain extent. I think I have been a bit outspoken on saying that my favorite cab of Jim's is his HG310. He told me, I think due to my repeating myself, that he had me in mind when he designed the HG410, which may or may not become my new favorite over the HG310, although a difficult choice mainly due to weight differential.
    The Ref 210.is ported, which means instead of the "tight" sound of the HG 310 there is a bit more bottom end bass boost. Both exibit the "quickness" of 10s. If someone would carry them for me (haha), I would love to have a rig with a stack of two Ref 210. As it is, though, I would prefer the HG310 as to me it just sounds much bigger than the size of the cab.

tree_trunker and gkbass13 like this.
  11. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    General question about Bergantino neo line: Did you guys had any success running a vintage tube head with the CN series? I know the NV line is more suited for this, but I'm trying to control my GAS! ;)

Right now my rig is: AE112+CN112. On bigger gigs I'm running out of juice with those two cabs so I'm planning to get a CN410 in the local classified and keep the CN112 for smaller gigs. I'm using an Aguilar AG700.

The AG is nice and with a more agressive EQ I can get a lot of usable sounds. I know that I'll eventually gig in more ''rock'' contexts so I'm wondering if a neo cab like the CN410 paired with a SVT for example can be convincing!

Thanks!

fclefgeoff likes this.
  12. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    I use a pair of HD210s with an Aguilar DB751 and that seems to do the trick - with a ‘modern vintage’ tone. Not sure about the neo alternative but I would suggest it would sound a bit more ‘modern’ again.

13. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Haven’t used a proper lead sled with my CN 12’s but I did own a Monique Pre for awhile, which I’d put in front of my Glockenklang Blue Soul. It was probably my favorite bass tone I’ve ever had, with an Aggie DB750 through an HT322 brig the only contender. I think the CN’s will be more than fine with a tube amp pushing them.

MAFbass1992 and dmccombe7 like this.
  14. I've used Ampeg SVT, GK1001RBii, Markbass, Ashdown, Warwick heads thru my HT322 and no matter what amp i've used the HT322 cab is by far the best cab i've ever had. Tried same amps thru 2off AE112 cabs but they just seemed to be lacking in something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. Will never get rid of my HT322 cab.

lo-freq, JJR58, d00dr and 3 others like this.
  15. I used my Fender Super Bassman into AE212 for a while. Very nice.
    Only got rid of it to get the matching Bassman 115s, which, again are Neo drivers and sound fantastic with both the Super Bassman and my V4B

16. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    Bergantino fans of TB. Help this quandry.

I use the old original HT/EX112 stack with a LMT2. Previously had a GBE 600 prior to the Mark. So, I am now in a 5 piece with a slammin drummer and 3 guitars.

I do play a 5er and in that loud context my rig seems to be running out of punch around G or F#. (just above low E). So, to beef up the bottom, I'd like to change something out and I believe my cabs are the weak link here.

Could I add something like a HT115 instead of the 112Ex or should I start over and go to the 112HT/112 ER stack?

17. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    The HT1x12ER is a really impressive little cab! I found it to be a pretty noticeable improvement over the regular HT 12’s down low, and especially noticeable in a loud band context. For this reason they can be pretty tough to score in the used market, and you might have an easier tile snagging a pair of HD cabs, which I’ve heard are very similar to the ER’s but with a different horn.

You could also keep the current stack and grab an HT322 for the bigger gigs. That would keep you in the same tone era of Berg cab development, while giving you what many on this forum consider to be the mothership of ported Berg cabs. All IMO, IME and such, of course. Good luck!

18. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    I wondered about the HT322. Always looked great. Big beast of a cab. What 90#?

Can you approximate a "modular HT 322" with a HT112 and a HT 210 or do you lose too much performance by losing the big box?

19. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Not sure about the HT’s, but a lot of people are loving the HD322, CN322, HDN322 & the REF322 set up.

scowboy and kevk like this.
  20. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    Other great smaller cabs that go lower/deeper? I really like the idea of a modular set up. 1 for smaller gigs (Love the 1 trip load in) 2 for all I'd need. If I need more, that's FOH stuff IMO